Best MacBook Pro Ever

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mthemh44, Jun 3, 2014.

1. mthemh44 macrumors newbie

Late 2007 MPB easily the longest lasting machine ever (and hottest). What do you guys think?

2. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

Definitely "The New MacBook" released in 2016.

No more "MacBook Air", "MacBook Pro" or "MacBook Pro with Retina Display". Just one 'MacBook' line, as thin as the Air with a Retina display.

3. jruschme macrumors 6502

jruschme

Dude, back away from the Time Machine...

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

You provided no metric for best.

I don't care for antiques. So I would go new Pro.

5. jkundi macrumors member

Best MacBook Pro Ever? The one Apple hasn't built yet.

6. BrettApple, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014

BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Well, with no specific guidelines. I would have to say the 2010 15" MBP.

The Mid 2007 - Early 2008's have the 8600m that is prone to failure. The 2011's also have ATI cards that have been going out. So based on reliability on the long term. Is say the 2010. One reason I just got one coming from an '08 MacBook.

Relatively modern Core i5 (dual core though). 330m hasn't had any huge widespread issues. It runs Snow Leopard. Doesn't run super hot. And I'm sure I could think of more.

Otherwise, whatever is current at the time. As far as performance is concerned...

7. Anitramane macrumors 6502

They won’t do that. There’s a reason to have several product lines.
    http://allaboutstevejobs.com/bio/longbio/08/09.jpg

8. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Mine lasted until a couple of months ago. Very good machines, I was super pleased with it.

The retina MBPs are possibly my favourites though. Not because they are the newest or anything, but just because they get so much right. Screen, weight, battery life, keyboard and trackpad, I/O and general design.

9. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

A1211, pre-unibody, pre-Nvidia. It was the first one with all of the "modern" features and an awesome backlit keyboard, with none of the reliability problems of the Nvidia models.

But seriously though, the newest will always be the best.

10. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I agree with BrettApple. The 2010 15" MBPs were great machines. If I had one, I'd probably still using it.

Current MBPs are great if you don't care with color accuracy. Also, only two USB ports on a 15" model is not really good, since Thunderbolt is still a boutique-esque interface. Moreover, previous MBPs had a decent platform for home audio recording (i.e., a decent stereo line-in port separated from the headphone output). Now we only have a single headphone port.

11. namethisfile, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014

namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

i have the same MBP as yours. a mid-2010 15" MBP i7 2.66 Ghz cpu & GT330m nvidia dGPU w/ 512 MB of VRAM.

and you know what? this MBP kernel panics more than my 12" powerbook w/ 1 Ghz G4 cpu which is still kicking and maybe KP'd once or twice in the 10 or so yrs that it's been running. the only thing is that this powerbook can't play videos on the internet without stutter.

i think apple is screwing up these model MBP's with how either open cl or open gl interacts with the gt330m. i can play starcraft 2 on it without kernel panicking but using fcp x or motion 5 instantly causes it to KP.

so my vote goes to the 12" powerbook.

PS--it's not how fast your computer is but how reliable it is. it doesn't matter if the computer can go 1 trillion gigahertz if it just crashes.

pss--call it nostalgia but os x tiger and powerpc seems so much stabler than the combination of intel cpu's and the new os x in these new supper slim and glossy macbook pro or nonpros of today.

psss--i'm blaming the core programmers of os x leaving over the yrs, so os x is buggier, also the yearly new os x cycle is creating or leap frogging issues that dont get fixed, the death of steve jobs causing a leaderless headless multibillion company with no more vision, just flapping around like that flappy something game, and intel cpu's are architecturally more complex than the RISC-based powerpc of yore, thus less stable, more buggy, etc., etc.

12. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I have the late 2013 13" MBPr with 2.6/8/256. It is my first MacBook so I can't judge it based on previous ones.

What I can say, this is the best computer I've ever owned and ever used in my entire life.

It's nothing short of beautiful, and I love it :apple:

13. mhuang2286 macrumors newbie

Haha I'm basically you. I've always used windows/linux machines and I finally got a new new 2013 13" rMBP as my first Apple computer and holy **** it is amazing!
    I seriously can't even touch Windows computers anymore. God I'm such a fanyboy but it's just so ahead of it's game. :apple:

14. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I had a 2010 15" and it is a dinosaur compared with both my 2013 and 2014 rMBPs. The 2014 is better because it comes with1TB of SSD.. now thats talking. The 2014 is so much more portable than the 2010.... not that there is anything wrong with the 2010, there will always be those who prefer antiques :)

15. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I think we're really lucky. I've seen the older MacBook in the Apple store and have used the Mac Mini in the past, and it's kind of like Windows with Mac software.

I really think that these late 2013 MBPr notebooks take the laptop to a whole new level. It's like the revealing of the iPhone 4. If you're first iPhone was the iPhone 4, then you were definitely blown away.

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The iPhone 4 was definitely a breakthrough release in my opinion. The new rMBPs leave me thinking, how could Apple improved this at all.... Something I can't find the answer to.

17. campyguy macrumors 68040

I really liked my 2007 17" MBP - it helped me feel "normal" in size. I'm 6'7"...

I like my current late-2013 15" rMBP. It's so much more zippier. But it's not big enough... :(

18. scupking macrumors 6502a

I'm still happy with my 2010 13" with the nvidia 320m in it. It can play bioshock with maxed out settings!

19. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

It would have to be trivial- beats speakers built in, 1080p facetime camera, thunderbolt 3 (who cares), possibly thinner or lighter.

But at the same time, Apple eventually always surprises us again with an upgrade we could have never dream of :apple:

20. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The Beats speakers wasn't really an option until now. I wonder if the 1080p FaceTime camera would be too big to fit? They don't get much thinner than that...

21. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

Yeah probably. Not that it matters to me, I think 720 is just fine. And as far as speaker quality the built in ones are really good already. If someone cares that much they can get some external speakers...

22. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

720 is plenty for a webcam in my personal opinion. We are at the point where even if we were using DSLRs as web cams, most software would be offering compression to limit the bandwidth load thus negating the upgraded camera.

Speakers are great in the MacBook line all together. Mainly you hear of poor speakers on business machines, but the MacBook Pro really pulls it off.

23. Eastend macrumors 6502

I've got 2 - 2001 Note Books that still work, very slow by today's standards, but one G4 Power Book and one iBook that still boot up and can use email and surf the Web. Almost never used anymore because there so s l o w...

24. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Much more power, much more graphics power, much more internal storage. There's a long way to go. My rMBP15 is only a 2.6, but I could happily use two or three times the power and SSD space. I'd buy one tomorrow if they did that.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

To me the 2012 rMBP is the best, gorgeous screen, great performance nice battery performance, great design.