Best Macbook Pro for Architectures.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ApplePablo, Feb 3, 2010.

1. ApplePablo macrumors newbie

As I want to be an architect I have always wanted a Macbook Pro because I think it's the best computer for such thing. The Macbook Pro is the most creative computer that I know and therefore I decided to buy one.

Now, my question.

Which configuration would be best ? Since Apple uses DDR3 ram and are able to use faster HDD I don't really know what I need.

Hope somebody can help me :)

Best Regards,
    Pablo

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Ask yourself what software you will run.
    Then go see what industry standard stuff is available for the Mac.
    Alas, not much.

The sad answer to your question is that a PC notebook would be the best fit.
    Unless you buy the Mac and have it running BootCamp 24/7.

You want a MacBook Pro because it looks "cool".
    Not because it is the best computer for Architecture.

The computer is not supposed to be the creative partner in this. ;)

3. smithmax13 macrumors member

4. ApplePablo thread starter macrumors newbie

Why would a PC be the best ?

Well I personally think that a Mac is much easier at editing photos and movie and stuff like that. Or am I totally wrong ?

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

And that relates to Architecture, how exactly?

Or are you not doing Architecture but considering a career in the film industry?

6. norsemen macrumors regular

Set your aims higher son...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXMDRbOBMno

7. ApplePablo thread starter macrumors newbie

You still have to work with computers even though you draw a lot of it.. Editing programs (I think) are much easier to use than the programs you get for PC

8. ApplePablo thread starter macrumors newbie

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

OK.
    The Mac OS is by far the best OS. No question.
    In fact if I had my way I would work on Mac OS exclusively.
    This is simply not possible.

Unfortunately, what I am tying to point out to you and you seem to misinterpret, studying and practicing Architecture on a Mac is not the best solution.

Yes, it can be made to work but believe me you will not just be editing pretty pictures and making wizzbang movies.

Good luck.

10. ApplePablo thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand what you are saying, but I am just asking what type of PC you be better then ?
    But the weird thing is that I was applying for California Polytechnic State University and they were actually recomending you to buy a Mac for the architecture ? Why would they do that if a PC is better ?

Hehe no i am well assure of that, but there will still be computer modeling and so on.

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

They did?

Great.
    Then buy a Mac.

12. Brazzo79 macrumors newbie

It´s true that the majority of the Architecture related CAD softwareplatforms are not available for Mac OS at the moment. Look at Autodesk for example. But there are good CAD solutions for Mac OS too (ArchiCAD, Cinema 4d, Adobe CS 4 ...).So it´s not impossible to get all you need for 2D drawings as well as 3d visualizations/ presentations and planlayouts.

13. ApplePablo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear :p hehe
    But would i have to spend a lot of money on a higher end MBP 15" or would a "cheaper" do it ?
    The mac should be able to run the programs, probably at the same time and possible itunes, safari and other often used programs at the same time. Would this demand a higher end MBP?

14. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I'm sorry, but is it just me or does the OP seem to just want a MBP cause its cool looking rather than wanting to get the best computer specifically used for architect?

What does architect have to do with running photoshop, itunes? architect has its own set of programs and those programs are best run on a PC. Last time I checked, you don't use photoshop programs to design buildings and bridges, maybe things have changed in the last month that I wasn't aware of. You already seem to set on buying a mac for its cool looks, so why are you asking questions, just buy it set it on your desk, I'm sure people will think you're a top architect.

Maybe its just me but it seems the OP is an architect wannabe rather than wanting to be an architect.

15. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I think the low low end MBP works for it, if i was you I'd get the 15" with the 9600 Graphics card or the 17", They're not as heavy as people claim, i remember i went to work with a 4kg laptop years ago, so a 2kg MBP shouldn't be a problem, and it's a fantasy to use one, I think the MBP is the best computer for any student since it alows you to be more creative than PC, i think any of those MBP are great for architecture!

Cheers! :apple:

16. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Agree with this 100%

But anyways, if you really want a Mac get a 15"+ with the nVidia 9600GT to assist with rendering and what-not for when you inevitably end up using Bootcamp to run the software you need.

17. Brazzo79 macrumors newbie

The computer is not supposed to be the creative partner in this. ;)[/QUOTE]

True words!!!!

18. prodigee macrumors 6502a

The computer that you get does not make it any easier to edit photos, or do work, that lies in your hands not the computers. I am gunna have to jump aboard the get a PC boat here. It really does seem that you want a MBP because it "looks cool", but the fact of the matter is many of the industry standard architecture programs like AutoCAD just aren't on OS X. I mean you could get a MBP and run it in BootCamp all the time but there are certainly more powerful PC laptops that will make rendering much easier/faster for you. May I suggest looking into a Sager.

19. ApplePablo thread starter macrumors newbie

Truly people haven't understood what i am saying.. Yes i do want a mac, but i have never said anything about the design, yes it is very nice, but if it is a bad computer to use as an architect then why buy it, as i wrote earlier ! maybe people don't read the threads, but maybe they should before writing !! If some of you haven't read earlier threads i asked which computer would be better then !! So maybe somebody should stop talking about all the useless crap and try to help me..
    I don't know much about computers, all i hear is that macbooks are great ! and the university recommends that you have a mac. they only RECOMMEND, they dont say you have to use it !!! So surely i have been looking at the mac computers ! So referring to my original thread i was asking which would be best because i though macbooks would be the best !

20. prodigee macrumors 6502a

I did read the thread thanks, and I am just saying that if you want to be an architect a Mac really isnt the right machine for it. And you seem to keep forgetting that there is really only one piece of advice we can give you on that and that is "if you want to an architect get a PC." Either get that through your head or stop saying you want a Mac, because it really is not gunna help you.

I suggested that you look into Sager's and I stand by that. They make quality POWERFUL machines, that have desktop power in a laptop case. That is what you will need if you want to do architecture so that your render times are cut down, so you can get more done faster. And you wont have to worry about your designs not working on AutoCAD or a similar Windows program, because you did it on a Mac that didn't have the industry standard software.

21. ApplePablo thread starter macrumors newbie

It wasn't meant to you, sorry.. Yes i just looked at the Sager notebooks, and they actually look really nice, they have a bit of the same design as the vaio's ! Have never heard about the brand ! And prices are quite good aswell..
    Do you know anything about "iBuyPower" computers ?

22. prodigee macrumors 6502a

iBuyPower is crap, do not buy from them ever. Sager is your best bet for quality and price.

23. ApplePablo thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect !

24. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I did my architecture degree on a PowerBook G4 15". These days, there are lots of MacBook Pros around.

As for which model?
    Firstly, wait for the refresh to the new i5/i7 CPUs. Then you need to go and buy the fastest you can. You'll be wanting 4GB of RAM minimum, if not 8GB, along with the biggest screen - ie: 17". Big HDD (not SSD), and a decent graphics card.

Architecture can generate large, complex files, which is why you need plenty of RAM and CPU horsepower to throw that kind of data around. Big screen because, well, you'll be drawing on it and every bit of space helps.

You could go for the 15" model, but then I'd say that's a bit small for a dedicated CAD machine. I certainly wished that I had gotten the 17" PowerBook back in the day.

The other advantage is that you can run OS X and Windows, giving you access to all the software you could ever need.

25. akis-k macrumors newbie

Macs for Arch

Well being an Architect myself, i have to agree that the situation concerning software in the architecture and engineering department is not the same in macs, as in windows pc's. And the main reason for this is AUTOCAD. Either we like it or not, it is the mainstream software in our profession. However there are plenty of other choices, like Archicad, Vectorworks and many more, which are native to OSX. And rendering software like Cinema 4d and Maya. Of course there is BOOT CAMP , if you really need to run Autocad (like i do). Hardware wise, just wait for a possible coming refresh (you really need the power of let's say an i5 or a 5850 graphics card-as if :D). I would also suggest you to visit a site that is dealing with macs and architecture, like architosh.com.
    Oh, and the 'cool design' factor of Apple computers counts. We are architects after all. We like to have beautifully designed things around us. Cheers..

P.S. My first post...:), though I've been daily visiting this site for more than 7 years.