Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s.brundle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2016
Is there a specific Macbook model in particular that you think would be best suited for gaming? I know a dedicated gpu is important but I think there's a few of them out there... any ones in particular that you think stand out? I'm not tech savvy but I'm guessing it's not as simple as just just getting the latest model?

Last edited:

Yuuta

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2016
Anything equipped with Intel Iris 6200 or above will do just fine, for casual gaming at least.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Is there a specific Macbook model in particular that you think would be best suited for gaming? I know a dedicated gpu is important but I think there's a few of them out there... any ones in particular that you think stand out? I'm not tech savvy but I'm guessing it's not as simple as just just getting the latest model?

If you want to do serious gaming you don't want a Macbook. if you must have a macbook you want the best discrete GPU you can afford.

That said, my 2015 13" with Iris 6100 will run Civ5 and similar games OK. Just don't expect to turn details way up and maintain a smooth framerate.

Reactions: spaceballl

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well, Macs particularly laptops are probably ill suited for games, but if you want to play them. The best MBP will the dGPU equipped 15" MBP.

s.brundle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2016
Yes I suppose 'I must have a Macbook' haha. I don't want a console or a separate PC to game on so I'm prepared to pay the extra to have a Macbook that can sub for those things. There is a few Macbook 15"s with dedicated GPUs... what I'd like to know is which has the best GPU (assuming money is not an issue). Or maybe there other factors that would trump the GPU?

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
If you want to do serious gaming you don't want a Macbook. if you must have a macbook you want the best discrete GPU you can afford.

That said, my 2015 13" with Iris 6100 will run Civ5 and similar games OK. Just don't expect to turn details way up and maintain a smooth framerate.
This is the right answer.

Yes I suppose 'I must have a Macbook' haha. I don't want a console or a separate PC to game on so I'm prepared to pay the extra to have a Macbook that can sub for those things. There is a few Macbook 15"s with dedicated GPUs... what I'd like to know is which has the best GPU (assuming money is not an issue). Or maybe there other factors that would trump the GPU?
I'm not sure what you mean by "best. " Apple doesn't let you choose between more than one discrete GPU. Only the 15" MacBook Pro lets you pick a discrete GPU, and you need to select the $2499 model, which has the R9 M370X w/ 2gb RAM. That's your only option.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Yeah, honestly, macbooks in general are not good for gaming. The dGPU models are loud and hot when doing gaming, and have frequent throttling problems. There's some hope that the next refresh might be better if they have the new gpu architectures, but right now, I really wouldn't recommend one as a primary gaming device.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Yeah, honestly, macbooks in general are not good for gaming. The dGPU models are loud and hot when doing gaming, and have frequent throttling problems. There's some hope that the next refresh might be better if they have the new gpu architectures, but right now, I really wouldn't recommend one as a primary gaming device.

Laptops in general are not good for gaming.

Another alternative is to go the eGPU route, but its a bit of hacking and not officially supported, but a friend has had macbook airs and run titans and other similar cards with them for a few years now.

e.g.

also

That way you still get a small portable machine when you're not gaming, but decent framerate when at a desk.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Laptops in general are not good for gaming.

Another alternative is to go the eGPU route, but its a bit of hacking and not officially supported, but a friend has had macbook airs and run titans and other similar cards with them for a few years now.

True, but macbooks are particularly bad compared to a dedicated gaming laptop, which will be bigger, thicker, have better cooling and a faster GPU.

I do have one, but I only use it for very occasional gaming, for most of the time I have a dedicated desktop for that.

s.brundle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2016
Ok Ok. I can accept Macs aren't the best for gaming. But what is the BEST Macbook when it comes to gaming?

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Only the top end 15" dGPU model even comes close really to a 'proper' gaming machine, but it has well known and bad thermal throttling issues that hamper it.

I'd honestly wait till the next gen updates in hopefully June unless have to have now.

s.brundle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2016
Only the top end 15" dGPU model even comes close really to a 'proper' gaming machine, but it has well known and bad thermal throttling issues that hamper it.

I'd honestly wait till the next gen updates in hopefully June unless have to have now.

Hmmm, I can wait. Thats a shame about the throttling issues. Do you think these issues are bad enough that they'll address these with updates? It'd be a shame to be waiting around for nothing.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Hmmm, I can wait. Thats a shame about the throttling issues. Do you think these issues are bad enough that they'll address these with updates? It'd be a shame to be waiting around for nothing.

The next generation of GPU's should be be more powerful and cooler, if they're ready in time for the next refresh, due to finally switching from 28nm process to 14nm after 5 years of being stuck for both nvidia and amd, and they should hopefully be ready for the next update.

The throttling issue are pretty much because of apples obsessiveness with thinness, there's just not enough cooling envelope for a powerful cpu and gpu going full speed as needed for gaming in the current design with the current chip processes.

Also, even the skylake non dgpu version should be closer to the current dgpu systems without any throttling problems.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
If you think "throttling" is going away in mobile machines think again.

They're made to run as fast as possible in short burst so they can get back to sleep. Machines will throttle under sustained load, because the max speed most portable machines can run at these days is never intended to be sustained.

It's not just apple doing it, and its a trade-off between being able to run faster for short periods of time or not.

s.brundle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2016
Would I be right in saying the best model at the moment would be the "Retina Macbook Pro with 2.5 GHz i7 CPU and AMD Radeon R9 M370X". ?

Dedicated GPU. Even though it doesn't have the fastest processor? Looking like the best I can find anyway.

iMacDragon, the model that I mentioned above - is that one of the macs you refer to when you take about thermal issues.
theoAU, do you think any issues with this model will be solved in the near future? Or do you think it's more of a laptop problem etc. ?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
theoAU, do you think any issues with this model will be solved in the near future? Or do you think it's more of a laptop problem etc. ?

Its more of a general problem unless you're going to be buying a large workstation/gaming machine.

They're often set up to run at full speed (essentially overclocked) for very brief periods of time in order to sleep faster.

s.brundle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2016
Hmmm thanks for the advice. I'm not very tech savvy - as you might have gathered. Would you agree that the Retina Macbook Pro with 2.5 GHz i7 CPU and AMD Radeon R9 M370X is top of the line in terms of Macbooks capable of gaming? I'll probably end up getting that if the near future isn't that much brighter.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Hmmm thanks for the advice. I'm not very tech savvy - as you might have gathered. Would you agree that the Retina Macbook Pro with 2.5 GHz i7 CPU and AMD Radeon R9 M370X is top of the line in terms of Macbooks capable of gaming? I'll probably end up getting that if the near future isn't that much brighter.

its the most expensive one.

how many do you think apple would sell if there was a better performing model they also sold for less - -

s.brundle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2016
its the most expensive one.

how many do you think apple would sell if there was a better performing model they also sold for less - -

From what I hear they aren't aimed at gamers. Which was my original question : is it just as simple as getting the most expensive.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
From what I hear they aren't aimed at gamers. Which was my original question : is it just as simple as getting the most expensive.

that wasn't your original question at all.

but the answer to both is yes and yes. get the latest and most expensive. that one will be best suited for gaming, within the mac range. however, the best suited may still not be well suited.

s.brundle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2016
that wasn't your original question at all.

but the answer to both is yes and yes. get the latest and most expensive. that one will be best suited for gaming, within the mac range. however, the best suited may still not be well suited.

Go back and read my question. Better still, since you seem to have had trouble with that I'll copy n paste here :
"I'm not tech savvy but I'm guessing it's not as simple as just just getting the latest model?"

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Go back and read my question. Better still, since you seem to have had trouble with that I'll copy n paste here :
"I'm not tech savvy but I'm guessing it's not as simple as just just getting the latest model?"

latest is not the same as most expensive. i suggest you re-read it yourself.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Yes. But I would wait until the next MBP update, as it is overdue.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Is there a specific Macbook model in particular that you think would be best suited for gaming?

No, Macs aren't great for gaming in general.

I know a dedicated gpu is important but I think there's a few of them out there... any ones in particular that you think stand out? I'm not tech savvy but I'm guessing it's not as simple as just just getting the latest model?

Apple sells one MacBook with a discrete GPU. If any one of them is suited for gaming, that's it. Although you'd be better off buying a PC and using it for your gaming.

s.brundle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2016
latest is not the same as most expensive. i suggest you re-read it yourself.

Haha ok so I guess when you suggested : " get the latest and most expensive." You meant two different laptops...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.