Best Macbook pro for photo editing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kevin Barnes, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Kevin Barnes macrumors newbie

Kevin Barnes

I am familiar with Photoshop C6, lightroom C6. I need to replace my windows with a Mac Book Pro. Since have to do photo editing and video editing can anyone recommend me a good one including information on graphic card and processor? Any personal recommendations are welcome.

2. Cosmo M3 macrumors regular

Cosmo M3

I'm a photographer and heavy LR user and Adobe designed LR to be more processor dependent than GPU, therefore I would go with a base 15 inch MBP or more depending on your budget. I use the base 6 core model and it's more than sufficient for me when I'm traveling. I have a 8 core PC with a 1080 Ti and it doesn't touch the GPU on that either.

3. borgeindergaard macrumors regular

borgeindergaard

If you're gonna use a modern version of Photoshop (CC 2019) then it will actually benefit from a faster GPU.
    But Lightroom doesn't need a fancy GPU, it is more CPU dependant, as previously stated.

4. Nbd1790 macrumors regular

As stated above, a 15 inch model for sure. As far as the processor speed and RAM, that would depend on your video editing needs. I always tend to go with the best model I can afford at the time in anticipation of picking up more intensive work (and not to mention future proofing your investment) considering the upgrades in these categories are minimal in price in comparison to the overall cost of the computer.

5. Cosmo M3 macrumors regular

Cosmo M3

Love you blog - I bought my M10 after your very belated review :)

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Best for photo (and perhaps video) editing?
    Why, an iMac 27" -- of course!

7. maflynn, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd vote for a 15" MBP over a 13" given that you get more bang for your buck. More cores, better GPU, etc.

8. jz0309 macrumors member

I've chosen the 2019 15 base model, I use LR and PS while traveling and it works perfectly. Depending on your needs you might need larger SSD, I use my iMac to host all my photos and post processing. And in addition to above, 15 gives you more screen real estate ...

9. borgeindergaard macrumors regular

borgeindergaard

Thanks :) It's a fantastic camera. I wish I had more time for photography and blogging about it. Enjoying my M10 as well!

10. Lammers macrumors regular

If the question is “best” then surely the answer is simple - 15” i9 with Vega 20, 32GB RAM and probably at least the 1TB SSD.

11. smirking macrumors 68020

smirking

Hey, can we get a link to your blog? I'd like to read some interesting thoughts on cameras and photography too.

12. Cosmo M3 macrumors regular

Cosmo M3

just google his name

13. Kevin Barnes thread starter macrumors newbie

Kevin Barnes

I did not know anything about you, Sir. But after I read some article of your blog I'm impressed very much. I'm interested in photography as well. When I going to get a camera I definitely do read all about those and select one. Thanks for the advice.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 11, 2019 ---
    There are a lot of suggestions here. Thanks, everyone. for your opinions. I guess 15" MBP it is. it will suitable for my needs and I couldn't go to iMac because I need it while traveling to places.