Best MagSafe usb c?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jeffois, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Jeffois macrumors member

Getting ready to buy a new MacBook Pro 13”. I don’t want to leave MagSafe behind, and I’ve seen a bunch of usb-c solutions. I was hoping that my fellow MR forum denizens would have so,e recommendations. I’ve searched, and failed to find forums here that deal with this.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!!

2. scottuf macrumors 6502

I've been using the Volta XL. Magnet not as strong as magsafe but it's been a pretty good replacement for me.

3. Jeffois thread starter macrumors member

How long have you been using it? Did you try others first?

I ordered the ATECH cable yesterday, and I’m going to pick up the new laptop tomorrow. I plan to give it a try, but I’m open to suggestions, and possibly going with a different cable long-term if people have recommendations...

4. scottuf macrumors 6502

Sorry for the slow reply. Have notifications off and haven't been here in a while. Anyways, been using since March. However, now my left side USB ports won't charge with any charger so taking it in to the Apple Store. I doubt it's the cable's fault, but who knows.

5. Jeffois thread starter macrumors member

I’d be concerned that the cable is at fault, all things being equal. But obviously I don’t know.

6. scottuf macrumors 6502

Agree. I'll get it fixed with AppleCare, and if it fails again, there's my answer.

7. Jeffois thread starter macrumors member

Which has me wondering if getting one of these is a good way to go. On one hand, magsafe saves from sending the laptop flying off a desk. On the other hand, frying the laptop is probably worth avoiding...

I didn't get the new machine yet. In a day or two. And I have the ATech. Are they more reputable?

8. scottuf macrumors 6502

Can't say. I liked the Volta because the magnetic plug end is nearly flush with the computer when inserted.