Best Mail app for the Yahoo e-mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jon08, May 13, 2009.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

Since apparently you have to be an upgraded member on Yahoo mail to be able to sync OS-X' Mail app with it, what would be the best alternative that would allow a non-upgraded Yahoo mail user use it?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It's not an issue with Mail, it's an issue with Yahoo. They've chosen not to allow POP or IMAP access to free members (and only POP to paid members, which sucks still). Your best bet is actually to get as far away from Yahoo as possible. Switch to Gmail, it's a lot better and you can use it the way you want to without paying for it.

jW

3. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I know Gmail doesn't impose such restrictions, but still Yahoo mail is my primary mail, so for the time being it would be rather inconvenient for me to just switch to a different e-mail account. Thus I'm looking for the best alternative to the Mail app...

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

What I'm saying is that it's not an issue of an alternative to Mail. The only way you can access your Yahoo Mail is to use the webmail interface. They give you no other choice.

jW

5. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Get a gmail account and just forward everything from Yahoo to gmail, and sync gmail with Mac Mail.

6. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

I just starting using FLUID with Yahoo mail. It's pretty neat. When I first heard about site-specific browsers, I thought "why would anyone want something like that." Now I know why.

7. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

I just went into the mail account settings and added a free account... it looks like you can add one without any hassle!! It comes up with the automaticaly set up dialogue...

I would highly recommend that you go to AOL/Mobile Me!! As it is just so so so much better with the IMAP standard!!

[​IMG]

8. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Yahoo is the one that is not allowing Mail, Outlook, Thunderbird or any other email client out there to access your email. You have to pay Yahoo for the privilege to link these applications in to it. Mail would work well with it if you pay the money.

9. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Did you read what I just said???

J

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I just tried this with a username@yahoo.com account and it does not work.

11. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

. . . other than to pay.

The best approach is probably a transition to some other provider, probably gmail. You can set up gmail to have your reply to address be yahoo, if you really want, but it's best simply to forward yahoo and tell everyone if what you want it pop or imap access.

12. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

^^ So it's possible to set your Yahoo mail to automatically forward all e-mails to your Gmail?

13. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Unfortunately, unless they've changed that since the last time I checked, you have to pay for Mail Plus to get that feature too. Yahoo's really stingy with features.

jW

14. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

OMG!! Just set up a free account with yahoo... and you will see what I mean!!!

It Works!!! the account that I set up was free... so for you it will work!!

It does it automatcialy for god sake!!

:mad:

J

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have a free Yahoo e-mail account and it will not work in Apple Mail. Perhaps the newer ymail.com domain accounts work and the older yahoo.com domain accounts do not?

Why the angry face?

16. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Yahoo not having IMAP and making you pay for POP forwarding is the reason I left it behind. I wanted to use Mail and it just wasn't working. No regrets on leaving it behind. A mass email to everyone in my address book took care of 95% of all my incoming mail. The last 5% straggled for a while, but they caught up with my new account.

To be fair, I have not tried the "ymail" account setup that MAC-PRO-DAMON is touting so I cannot account for whether it works. Given the current state of Yahoo, though, it may just be in your best interests to move on.

17. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No, it doesn't. I just set up a new free account with Yahoo Mail (@ymail.com), and while yes, Mail says "Automatically Setup Account", it fails to configure because Yahoo doesn't allow POP access. If you're going to get angry, get smart first.

Nope, newer ymail.com accounts don't work either, nor do the older ones, unless you pay. MAC-PRO-DEMON is just confused.

jW

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Thanks for testing this out.