Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

titovenok88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2019
Dear friends! Everyday I work with hundred of mails from my colleagues, different types of docs. Want to find the best Mail App. Need Your professional suggestions. I like the native Mail App in iOS and MacOS, but maybe there is some app on the IT market, which is more productive. Many thanks!

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2017
Interested too. Still using the default mail app but I think it is not competitive anymore.
Heard Outlook became a great app. Any advice ?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
My favorite so far is Spark (App Store link). Some people don't like that they route your mail through their servers and I haven't read their privacy policy (although it looks easy to read) because all I have in it is my personal accounts but I love the UI on the Mac and iOS. It's much better than all the other's out there. Plus it supports gestures (swiping on the trackpad to delete, archive, snooze, etc). That alone makes more productive. Office 365 is close but still has oddly made UI decisions here and there and it's all web based which some hate. Plus, it's subscription based.

Last edited:

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
Some people like the Outlook-style vertical message list for a selected folder, others don't. Hence the choice between Postbox (vertical list) and Thunderbird (horizontal list). OTOH, Postbox doesn't have extensions anymore, hence no calendar support. Postbox is purely email, while Thunderbird does have calendar support.

What Postbox does have is better ways to filter email in an account (Focus pane), Template support for mass emails, RAW HTML editor support for emails and signatures...

Some people like the Outlook-style vertical message list for a selected folder, others don't. Hence the choice between Postbox (vertical list) and Thunderbird (horizontal list). OTOH, Postbox doesn't have extensions anymore, hence no calendar support. Postbox is purely email, while Thunderbird does have calendar support.

Yeah, that's true. But as I stated, Thunderbird does not have a very "colorful, sexy" interface. It just gets the job done.

What Postbox does have is better ways to filter email in an account (Focus pane), Template support for mass emails, RAW HTML editor support for emails and signatures...
As far as I can tell, Thunderbird is doing a good job of filtering out most of the junk mail that is being sent my way. I certainly get less than when I was using Outlook 2016.

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
Oh, I wasn't talking about junk mail when I mentioned the Focus Pane. When you get hundreds of emails in a day, the Focus Pane's job is to find ways to limit visibility of what you see in the inbox to the emails from a certain person.

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Outlook on the Mac is pretty good these days – especially if you are connected to an Exchange Server. The development team are responsive (usually in 24 hs) in away that Apple are NEVER seen to be and the slow beta programme is pretty stable showing you what's coming if you have a penchant for a bit of experimentation.

I am less enamoured with Outlook on the iPhone. I also have Airmail 3 on the Mac, which I have never clicked with.

mavots

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2019
Seattle, WA
Stay away from Airmail. There support is horrendous.
I just finished a detailed description of my issue (basically I lost the ability to search my past emails) on another thread in this forum.

Reactions: marmiteturkey

Eliott69

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2019
MailMate is the most versatile one in my opinion. Two things which are important to know: emails are written in MarkDown (with live HTML preview below), and there is no way to temporarily hide accounts in the sidebar, which I find difficult as I have to manage more than twenty accounts, but most of them only once a month, so I would like to deactivate them (currently I delete these accounts in MailMate and set them up again when I have to use them). I liked to work with Apple Mail, but Catalina rendered it useless by dropping the ability to manage columns.

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
I have Gmail, Yahoo, Exchange Activesync and plain old IMAP accounts and I find Apple Mail handles them all fine. I see no reason to use a third-party app.

rdillon2008

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2018
Bahamas
I have Gmail, Yahoo, Exchange Activesync and plain old IMAP accounts and I find Apple Mail handles them all fine. I see no reason to use a third-party app.

Every time I tried to use Apple mail, I always go back to canary mail app. I just need to know the person got my email

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.