Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

airjuggernaut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Hey everyone,

My parents are getting my iMac in a few short days,

But as I'm setting up their iMac, I've run into a little problem.

My dad uses Outlook (the one in XP) to check his mail.

I've already read up on how to transfer his existing mails to the new iMac.

But I'm unsure of which client to put him on.

He's already doing something "big" by trying to learn Mac OSX. I don't want to scare him away by giving him a client that's confusing to use, or doesn't support features he needs.

I have 3 options.

1. Apple Mail

2. Entourage

3. Thunderbird.

My dad's biggest "want" is a really good Junk filter. He's sick of the copious amount of spam that he receives on his email.
Which client has the best junk filter, and would be the easiest to understand and/or "get used to"' for my dad?

p.luik

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
Faribault, MN
Apple mail will be your best bet. Its best to chose the most integrated apps for new users, then they dont get frustrated trying to learn two new environments.

longwood

macrumors regular
May 10, 2005
I think Mail is pretty good for junk. If your Dad is going to be dealing with a lot of attachments, I would recommend Postbox. It is currently in beta now, but I have been using it for the past month and it is fairly stable and extremely helpful with attachments. It has a pretty good junk filter, although not as good as Mail.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Thunderbird's not really ready yet for Mac, so its between Entourage and Mail.

As Mail comes with the machine and Entourage is paid-for, it is probably worth giving Mail a try first. Entourage is the Mac equivalent of Outlook.

But its not a full calendering/contacts/email solution all-in-one like Outlook. It relies on the address book and iCal to help.

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
Have the exact same problem.

I would go with mail as Entourage is quite different to Outlook. Good idea to maintain the MAC environment with mail. Get him used to the apple system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.