Best mail program for gmail on OS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wek, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Wek macrumors member

Wek

Hi

Im new to mac, and Im trying to find a mail app/program that handles Gmail.

It seems a little difficult?

What do you use for Gmail? and why? I dont care paying for a good program.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Mail works fine for me but I'm told AirMail is excellent.

3. Alrescha macrumors 68020

I just use Mail which comes with OS X. A caveat, I only use gmail in a sort of legacy mode as I have mostly moved to private (pay-for) providers.

A.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use Mail with multiple Gmail accounts. It does everything I need.

5. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Same here, I use Mail that comes with Mac OS X. It handles all my e-mail accounts, including gmail.

6. Wek thread starter macrumors member

Wek

Thanks all :) I give it a try.

Is there a function like in Windows, to have a G mail notifier in the finder bar? (if thats the name) to see if there is new mail, even if the program or browser is not running?

7. SD-B, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014

SD-B macrumors 6502

SD-B

I have 12 mail accounts with most of them being GMAIl so I cannot use MAIL for all of my Gmail needs as it just doesn't offer the full scope of Gmail

I use MAILPLANE. Its not free but i paid little for it. $30
    Im like most people, i HATE to pay for software and will use the free edition but on OSX I have only paid for 2 main ones I feel I need. One of them being MAILPLANE.

Its $30 and worth EVERY penny in the time I save using it.
    It only handles GMAIL but it sets up your imap folders exactly as if you were in it on the web, so you have all the ability to see, delete ALL mail, Spam, and any other folder that isn't quite as clear on MAIL I find.

When I used MAIL, i had to go on to the web every once in a while and clean out folders but through MAILPLANE i get everything.
    Its easy to switch into the settings as well, just as if you were in the web but without having to go into the web each time, which would be annoying to do

For someone that only uses GMAIL i find it much more sophisticated in all you can do with it than MAIL for gmail

http://mailplaneapp.com

And it notifies me of ALL my Gmail, all 12 accounts :)

This wills show you a comparison between MAIL and MAILPLANE for gmail accounts

http://mailplaneapp.com/comparison/

Now IF i didn't want to pay for a great program and had only one GMAIL account, Id use MAIL but I found that I had to go into the web every couple of days to find hidden emails that despite ones best interest aren't as easy to see through MAIL
    With 12 accounts that is too much work.
    MailPlane just lets me switch quickly from one account to the next so of anyone using several GMAIL accounts, I personally could not live with the challenges of MAIL for gmails

8. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Yes, there is such an option. I use it myself. It is easy in Mac OS X. Called Notifications. Simple. You can set the time interval of fetching your mail. I set it to 1 minute. When I recieve a new mail an alert appears in the right upper corner.

9. Wek thread starter macrumors member

Wek

What about labels? I have a ton of labels in web gmail. Do the OS mail program handle them correct?

10. cd3267 macrumors newbie

Mail should handle your labels correctly. I have a round 6 and they seem to work ok. Sync your gmail to mail and see if they work, if not look for another option

11. Wek thread starter macrumors member

Wek

12. jojoba macrumors 68000

I use Airmail, but like other have said the standard mail app should work fine.

13. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

It doesn't handle labels in the way GMail wants to handle labels. They act more like folders in the OSX Mail app. Meaning once it is "labeled" it is moved to that "folder" in OSX. Or if in Mail you have to drag it into the folder/label. Airmail is a great app for GMail users and uses many of the GMail functions like lables, archiving, archive on send, etc etc. You can tag the email with multiple labels, leave it in the inbox or archive..all the good stuff.

14. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I backed Gmail for Mac on Kickstarter, which is a better looking version of Mailplane, in my opinion. I'm not sure it'll be the go to mail client for me, but I haven't found one yet. There are still about 2 days left for you to get in, and the early bird cost is only $5. It is supposed to launch in January 2015. Worth checking out.

15. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Why is the guy in the video trying so hard to sound like Jony Ive? hahahaha.