Best Mail solution for Gmail

Discussion in 'macOS' started by theaero, Feb 6, 2011.

1. theaero macrumors 6502

I'm a Gmail user, with 5 seperate accounts. I've always had problems with mail and thunderbird (freezing because of too many message to download, lack of gmail's threading support, etc). Mailplane is an interesting solution, but the way that it manages multiple accounts is really annoying. I would really like to figure out a solid Mail solution, as I have been using GMail Manager for Firefox for some time now, but have now switched to Chrome. Any ideas? What do you guys use, and how do you have everything setup? Thanks!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Mail works fine here. Having five separate accounts should have nothing to do with it. Perhaps the problem lies with your network. If the number of messages makes a difference, then this would seem to support my hypothesis that your network is the problem.

3. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

4. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

You might also like the Advanced IMAP Controls feature in Gmail Labs. Enable it, and you can hide folders with a lot of messages from Mail.app (I was thinking the All Mail folder).

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I have more than 5 IMAP accounts and gigabytes of old messages. Mail works fine and is not the problem from a technical standpoint.

6. KirkL macrumors 6502

Mail is sufficient but I didn't like the way it handled "Conversations" (Mail just looks at emails with same Subjects and groups them together). So I use Postbox. I think it's based on Thunderbird and it's pretty good. Definitely check it out.

7. shaverzbt macrumors newbie

8. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

At the moment nothing beats Sparrow when it comes to a Gmail solution for OSX. I urge everyone to try it. There will be an add supported lite version released on the Mac App store shortly for those who want to try before they buy.

Postbox is good but not flawless with Gmail. Mail app still has issues with labels and IMAP syncing.

The UI in Sparrow is clean, efficient and intuitive. It syncs perfectly with Gmail including labels etc.

Try it, you won't be disappointed.

9. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

I have been using Sparrow, and don't like it. It still need quite a bit of work, IMHO. I cant only view unread messages, for example.

10. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

Sparrow also totally ignores Gmail filtered responses (i.e., when you reply, use the alias that the email was sent to as your "from" address)

Having said that, I still think it's the best one out there - just needs a long way to go to having the functionality of the native site.

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

This is not a problem with Sparrow, rather it's how the IMAP/POP protocols work.

12. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

How are you guys using mail with gmail? In terms of config.

13. ufkdo macrumors 6502

I'd also suggest that. I hide all folders except inbox and sent mail. Works perfect, I'm not have to download gigabytes of messages now.

14. djshack macrumors regular

I tried Sparrow for quite some time, but I ended up going back to Mailplane (which I've owned for a very long time). I prefer the power and options in the native Gmail web interface, so Mailplane is the ideal solution.

15. jgould macrumors regular

I use Mail and have never had a problem with speed. I've had it crash before, but never had a problem with it slowing down. I have 3 Gmail accounts configured now and at one point had 6 in there. I hid almost all of the labels on two of the three Gmail accounts. I tried to hide All Mail, but my BlackBerry threw a fit...

I've tried Outlook 2011, but I've never liked the way Outlook worked with Gmail...

16. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I'm going to try the advanced imap option. How exactly in Mail.app do you guys have your settings configured? I see tutorials that have many different ways to do it. Thanks :p

I'm so used to web-based... not used to using an email client.

17. KirkL macrumors 6502

I've been using Sparrow and I love it!

18. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

19. jgould macrumors regular

The only things that I have checked in my preferences is to store the junk on the server. I used the recommended settings of Gmail (in their help pages) to configure it. I also have 'use the specified outgoing mail server' checked as I have 3 accounts and I have a bad habit of replying on the wrong account...