Best MBP 500GB 2.5" HDD replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Apple%, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Apple% macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm looking to replace my stock 160gb 5400rpm drive with a 500gb drive 7200rpm. SSDs are just a bit too expensive at the moment.

Looking around the Seagate Momentus XT seems to come top of all the reviews until you research a little more and find that there seem to have been loads of issues with them, esp on macs.

Can anyone recommend a next best alternative drive? :confused:

2. Ifti macrumors 68000

Ive always used Seagate Momentus - runs cooler and quieter then others.
    Many users have stated 7200rpm drives cause their system to virbrate a little more though.......

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

if i was getting a new drive i would be getting a momentus xt

4. ryanrich macrumors regular

+1

Great compromise if you can't afford an SSD.

5. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

My personal favourite 7200rpm HDD has been the Western Digital Scorpio Black series. I have been using their drives of various sizes and speeds for a while now.

I can not comment on the Momentus XT, but a lot of people have had god things to say about them.

As for the SSD, you don't need them at this point in time, unless you absolutely need every last millisecond of time. You save approx 15-20 seconds on cold boot time and 'on average' just a few seconds on app load times (there are exceptions), when compared to a 7200rpm drive.
    The trade-off of smaller storage space compared to those few seconds of speed is just simply not worth it IMO.

6. FEINT macrumors newbie

I just switched hard drives a few weeks back. I ended up with the Hitachi 7k500. Have a search on the forum, lots of reviews on it. I got it based on the reviews here.

I didn't go with the Momentus XT due to cost.

7. fysh3 macrumors newbie

I have just ordered a MomentusXT Hybrid. Can't wait for it to come! :)

8. s1lv3r macrumors member

s1lv3r

I'm getting a 15" i7 with 8gb OCZ ram in 4 weeks and i'll be changing it standard 500gb 5400rpm HDD for a faster HDD. i'm probably buying one Momentus XT 500gb too, but i'm worried if it can bring my battery life too low.

I know i'll be losing some battery life, but does anyone knows more or less how much? It will last half? 1h less? 2h Less? Please consider normal usage - wifi internet, normal brightness, spreadsheets, text docs, etc - and not video encoding/editing or gaming.

tnx in advance!

9. HBOC macrumors 68020

i have had the hitachi travelstar 500GB 7200 for over a year, and have never had any problems.

10. Apple% thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help everyone, ordered the M XT... Fingers crossed. :eek:

11. s1lv3r macrumors member

s1lv3r

Good Luck buddy.

I would appreciate if you could post about battery lifetime difference after using it for some days, please :)

12. miata macrumors 6502

Travelstars have been fast, quite and reliable for me for almost 10 years now.