Best MBP backpacks for college students

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vchalupa, May 26, 2008.

1. vchalupa macrumors member

I'm looking for a backpack for my new MBP for college in the fall. I know Apple has a few that they offer but they seem overpriced.

I can't really decide what to go for but I figured if all else fails, I'd suck it up and somehow dish out the cash for either:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/T...ies/notebook_cases&mco=Njg5MTMy&p=4&s=priceLH

or

http://store.apple.com/us/product/T...ies/notebook_cases&mco=Njg4ODA2&p=4&s=priceLH

Any suggestions on either of these or some other bags that people liked? I'm jsut looking for something to fit my 15" MBP and be able to fit books and materials in my bag for my classes.

2. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

Never been a big fan of swiss, but if you're looking for a better price then check out Targus

Feren
    M1000 - looks like the biggest
    Slam - my fav Targus

I personally use a Booq BP3. It is much more expensive but worth it in my opinion when you're loaded down with text books they provide the best protection. My brother just spent $235 for his booq to begin college in the fall and it is amazing... and includes Vyper ballistic nylon sleeve at that price. Python System

That Booq BP3 (discontinued now) successfully protected my 12" PB for 2 and a half years of a business degree (accouting books are heavy and big). When I bought a 17" MBP it wouldn't fit in the bag but it didn't go to class much anyway. Now that I've sold that machine and using my new BlackBook, the Booq is protecting it as well. Thank God those entry level Accounting books are gone, the senior level Accounting and Marketing books aren't near as big/heavy!

3. MPHL macrumors regular

MPHL

I got the Northface Surge all black backpack. I have a new month old 17'' MBP and this backpack works absolutely perfectly with its designated laptop sleeve. Would highly recommend

4. renixomba macrumors newbie

thenorthface recon. it has a padded laptop sleeve, a big enough main compartment to hold my books, a smaller compartment for my misc stuff (pens, phone, wallet). it also has a front mesh pocket big enough to hold a bike helmet. i personally use it to quickly stash a sweater on the go or a bag of opened chips (don't want my backpack to stink up). the best thing about it is that it doesn't look like nerdy laptop backpack. it's more camp like. the laptop compartment can be used as a water reservoir actually.

5. airfrancisco macrumors regular

6. operator207 macrumors 6502

I see another post by you in the Photography section. You have a Nikon DSLR. Have you looked at Lowepro?

http://products.lowepro.com/catalog/Notebook-Camera,16.htm

I have the fastpack250, my 15" MBP and all my DSLR "stuff" fits fine in there. I have a Canon XTI, 2 lenses, flash (550ex) a couple defusers and some cleaning rags in the camera section. Along with some manuals, and various other things that are not really camera related (USB cables)
    I also carry quite a few stuff for the laptop, as I am a roaming IT guy for 4 Medical Clinics. I have everything from USB serial adapters for consoles, to CD's to reinstall various OSes when needed.

So far its been an awesome bag.

I bought this specifically because I have on many occasions, wished I had my camera. But did not want to carry around more than one bag.

7. blakintosh macrumors member

I recommend on buying a sleeve (incase neoprene sleeve) and just buy any backpack/messenger bag

but thats just my point of view :eek:

8. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I have a North Face Recon II and I recommend it highly, It comes with a lifetime warranty and North Face is really great about honoring their guarantees,

[​IMG]

9. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Great advice, I'm now looking into one of these.

10. vchalupa thread starter macrumors member

Wow, great input guys. Thanks so much.

I'm interested in buying one of the Northface backpacks but what made you choose one over the other? That's the only problem I have. Obviously price is something to consider but what else? I'm also looking for a fairly large backpack to fit books and notes and laptop peripherals in there too. So any Northface backpack suggestions for that?

11. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

http://store.apple.com/us/product/T...ies/notebook_cases&mco=Njg4ODA2&p=4&s=priceLH
    just got this one for my backpacking trip to eastern asia
    it's just big enough to fit everything but not small that i can't fit stuff

I got a mbp, nikon D50 with 2 lenses, ipod, wallet, passport, bose noise canceling headphones, a sweatshirt, a notebook and pen, and a book.

I don't know about durability but it seems that these days everything are made about the same quality (not so durable). It just depends on how you treat it.

But most backpacks have about the same design. I'd say if you go to the nearest apple store and choose one that you like it won't be bad.

happy shopping