Best MBP for a little bit gaming and school?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by -mattias-, Apr 26, 2010.

1. -mattias- macrumors member

Hello all,

I want a MacBook Pro. The things I will use it for is gaming (Counter Strike Source, Warcraft 3, Mordern Warfare 2), playing online poker and normal stuff like checking email, browding the web, and schoolwork (Office or the ones for Mac). I would also want to install Windows 7 as a dualboot (or what it's called).

Right now I'm thinking the 13" fits me best, because I like the size of it and it's the cheapest.

But is the 13" the right one for me? Can it handle the things I do? And which version should I pick, if I should pick a 13"? The 2.4 GHz or the 2.66 GHz?

Another question: Should I upgrade anything on it after I've bought it? Previously, I've heard people talking about upgrading the RAM, but I guess that isn't a problem anymore? But is there anything else that should be upgraded (I really don't know a lot of computer stuff).

Thank you in advance! :)

2. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

If I were you I'd go for the 2.4 GHz model and increase the HDD space to 500 GB. With a student discount that should bring you to about $1200, add the applecare and it will be $1400.

3. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

You're in a similar position to me. I was looking at the 2.66Ghz model, but I've been persuaded to get the 2.4GHz because there isn't much difference and you can easily upgrade the HDD to 320GB or 500GB.

4. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

2.4 core 2 duo is plenty but upgrade to a 500gb hard drive if your brave do it yourself save money and get 7200 rpm for better performance and speed. Also do some google searchs on bootcamp window 7 guides its a challenge if your not computer inclined but can be learned quickly by youtube videos etc. Good luck!