Best MBP for Garageband use

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hammie, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I am considering getting my son a MBP so he can create music via GarageBand. I currently have a maxed out mid-2010 17" MBP. However, since he is only 10, I was thinking the 13" will be sufficient.

Thoughts on this and also what processor to get. Will the entry level 2.4GHz be enough? He will be using this with his Yamaha keyboard and digital piano via USB and with a microphone for his sax.

BTW, he has been using GB on his iPad 2, but I thought the MBP would allow him to capture and possibly do more. Am I off base here?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Any Mac model will suffice, even an entry-level Mac mini.

3. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Yep. A 13" base model will do just fine.

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I am using GarageBand on my 13" MBP with no issues :)

5. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

And yes, you can capture from MIDI setups (such as the piano) and more with garageband. The possibilities are limitless.

6. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

Any MBP will do just fine...

I'm using Logic Pro on an old MBP (2008) with 8GB RAM, and I have no complaints.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

+1, I wish my folks had bought me a Mac when I was ten..oh, they didn't exist then....!:D

8. balk macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android 2.3.6; Linux; Opera Mobi/ADR-1111101157; U; nl) Presto/2.9.201 Version/11.50)

keep in mind though that the 13 has only a single mini jack connection which served either as input OR output. The 15 and 17" have separate connections for in and out.

Implication? You will not be able to plug in a microphone and listen back via headphones. Of course, you can buy an external USB audio connection which is a lot cheaper than the price difference between any of the mbps.
    Google for "Griffin imic" for an example (never used it myself by the way)

9. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

You will be able to input anything on any type of Mac. If you really want to input and be able to listen to it at the same time, you would need something that has an input and an output...

Definitely something to think about. balk makes a valid point.

Personally, I don't use the input and output at the same time... Just record, listen, and make changes as you see fit. For a ten-year-old, I think that should suffice...