Best MBP for my needs..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by heyyitssusan, Oct 28, 2016.

1. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

I currently have a mid 2012 non-retina MBP now that I want to eventually replace.. with the new macbooks announced and the touchbar being so appealing, I'm starting to consider my choices but wondering which one will be the best for my needs. Basically, what I do on it is:
    -a lot of multi-tasking, between web browsers, multiple tabs open, other apps like Twitter, mail, etc.
    -Light video editing in iMovie (don't use final cut)
    -Web browsing, email, etc

My MBP now is getting the beach ball every time I have too much running at once. Like right now I have two tabs open in Firefox, along with Twitter, mail, messages and the app store but the app store I had to force quit twice.. so do you guys think the touchbar is necessary for me, or should I opt and go for the non-touch bar edition? Thanks!

2. Sulanese macrumors newbie

3. heyyitssusan thread starter macrumors 65816

How long do you think it might last if I replaced both of those?

4. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

A very long time!

I use a 2012 15" cMBP, the warranty runs out in a month and I'm probably going to keep it beyond that. I have 16GB RAM and two 1TB SSDs installed.

5. Sulanese macrumors newbie

If you have both, it is like a new Laptop. It is very fast and snappy. No Matter if you have a i5 or i7. When you use like you say, you Can Go with your Computer a Long time. 3-5 years maybe?

Sorry for my Bad English.

6. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

Get a new SSD and more RAM and you will see that it's like you have bought a brand new macbook pro :).

7. eroslws macrumors 6502

Unless you really want the newest and best, the non-Touchbar is perfect for you. The retina Macbook is nice too for your use as well. Depending on how much space you use, you may need to upgrade to 512GB storage. 8GB RAM is plenty but I would upgrade to 16GB if you want to futureproof your device.

8. heyyitssusan thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the input. Yeah, 16GB seems like a must since I'm sure future OS upgrades will probably take at least 4 or 6GB of RAM to run.

Thanks to everyone's input about upgrading RAM and SSD too.. anyone know how much it'll cost these days? I heard the price of SSD went down but I havne't been keeping tabs.

9. Sulanese macrumors newbie

Corsair ddr3 16gb SO dimm - 90€
    Samsung Evo 750 512 gb -119€

This is a Price that i have found in Amazon Germany.