Best MBP Subwoofer/speaker set?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mbpunh2011, May 28, 2011.

1. mbpunh2011 macrumors newbie

Hi guys!
    New here so i'm sorry if this topic's been covered before - I've done a few searches but didn't find my exact question.

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro 13" and I just would like a basic 3+ piece speaker set with a big sub woofer for my bedroom. I'm having a hard time determining what systems are MBP compatible - there are some that plug into the computer via the USB and some that go through the headphone jack, yes? Is there a quality difference? Price difference?

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this sort of thing so again, any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

They are all compatible with anything with a headphone jack. I've never seen 2.1 systems that use USB, but they probably do exist. I suggest you go to whatever electronics stores you have around you and try some speakers they have on display, go with what sounds best for you.

3. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

ya, anything with a standard, analog connection will work fine since it will work from the headphone jack. If you want to spend a little more money and get a little better quality you can look at systems that support optical input since your mbp can output that as well. Those systems offer up to 5.1 channels of sound.

If you want more specific recommendations I'll give you a few. One, stay away from Bose, its overpriced considering the sound quality. Second, go listen to Klipsch Promedias. For the money they give a ton of accuracy and power. Great system that I really love. Mine have lasted years now and still sound as good as when I bought them.

You might also look at Creative Labs THX rated stuff since it sounds great. Swan and M Audio are more accurate, studio monitor style speakers. Less power but more accuracy and good sound.

4. KwanMan macrumors regular

harman/kardon SoundSticks III. I originally bought them cause it has deep solid bass, but they were also designed to be used with macs (style wise) and they compliment each other perfectly

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

What is your budget? Like someone mentioned above, I'd recommend anything from Klipsch or Creative Labs.