Best MBP to supplement iMac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ozix, May 6, 2011.

1. Ozix macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Long time listener first time caller, err I mean poster. I bought my first MacBook Pro (early 2011, 17", 2.3GHz, 8GB ram, anti-glare) in March and absolutely love it! Anyway the new iMacs were announced (as I'm sure everyone is aware of lol) and I started thinking about getting an iMac as my main machine and selling my 17" MBP. I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan so this wouldn't be until July when we get back, but a friend is ready to buy my 17, in fact we've already worked out a good price for both us of :D

So now the only thing left to decide is, do I get the 2.7GHz 13 inch, or the 2.0GHz 15 inch. I priced the 13" at $1748 ($1499 base + $249 AppleCare) versus the 15" (lower end model) at $2298 ($1799 base + $150 for hi-res anti-glare + $349 AppleCare). I'm gonna upgrade the RAM and HDDs myself, (getting an OptiBay, 256GB c300, and 750GB Scorpio Black for the new laptop too lol) so the cost for that is gonna be the same regardless of which model I get. I also like the idea of being able to just walk into an Apple Store and leaving with my new laptop, do they normally stock the hi-res anti-glare 15"?

I'd mostly be using the laptop while traveling (or deploying again lol), I use Aperture regularly (check out my Photography site at www.aaronpbrown.com) and may occasionally use Final Cut Express. Am I gonna miss the real estate on a 13" MBP, especially coming from a 17"? Also is the dedicated graphics, extra screen and quad core worth $550 over the 13?

Thanks for taking a look!

Aaron
    552nd Military Police Co - U.S. Army
    Kandahar, Afghanistan - OEF '10-'11

2. raysmd macrumors member

i think you'll miss the hi-res ag screen.

i'm also getting an imac, just haven't decided on the 27" i7 3.4 or jusr the base 27

3. Ozix thread starter macrumors newbie

If only they had a little more resolution in the 13 and a matte option, I could deal with the dual core and integrated graphics. As for the iMac, I'm getting everything maxed (except for RAM, which I'll do on my own), including the SSD + HDD. Every since installing the c300, I don't think I could go back to just having a traditional HDD, but after reading how tricky a self install of an SSD into an iMac, I'll let Apple do it lol. The OptiBay wasn't too bad, and it's easy enough to reverse if I need to bring it in for warranty issues.

Aaron

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd probably just do the base 13", if you're getting an i7 iMac.

5. Ozix thread starter macrumors newbie

You talking about the 2.3 GHz i5 for $1199, wow I didn't even think of that option. Now I gotta look up the benchmarks for that model :p

6. uplusd macrumors 6502

+1

Or why not an MBA? It should be able to handle Aperture fine, not sure about Final Cut - might want to ask on the MBA forum.

7. Ozix thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought about the Air, especially considering I'll be buying an SSD to replace the HDD in the MBP, however the 4GB of RAM and the older Core 2 Duo processors kinda scared me away. Now if the MBA has a refresh before we get back in July I'll definitely look into it...

As was your +1 for the $1199 13" or $1499 13"

Aaron

8. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

The updated Air may be available around the time you get back home, so that might be an option to consider.

And thank you for serving. It is appreciated and I wish you a safe trip back home.

9. dragon13 macrumors member

dragon13

A friend of mine was in a similar situation. He ended up getting a base 15" MBP and got the optibay. He's a professional photographer and said he needed the space (both hd and screen). He loves his setup.

They did have the hi-res antiglare in stock, but not all stores do

Personally though- if you're just using aperture and final cut express a bit, and don't mind an external- I'd say wait for the 13" MBA to get updated.

They're amazing, especially if you're gonna be traveling a lot.

10. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

I'd go for the base 13" as well as the Imac will provide you with all the raw power you need.

11. uplusd macrumors 6502

My +1 was for the 1199 13" since you'll be getting the i7 iMac.

Although I think you should get the MBA if the refresh happens before you get back. The 13" MBA also has a higher resolution than the 13" MBP, who knows when the 13" will get that upgrade.