Best Media Application For Video ???

musicmad2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Hi

Between QuickTime Player, VLC, and iTunes, which app would give the better picture quality from a movie, or is that a fair question to ask?

What video formats does iTunes except by default?

Thanks.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Between QuickTime Player, VLC, and iTunes, which app one would give the better picture quality from a movie, or is that a fair question to ask?
The picture quality should be the same with all of them.
What video formats does iTunes except by default?
iTunes: Frequently asked questions about viewing and syncing videos
What video content works with iTunes and mobile devices?
  • QuickTime and MPEG-4 movie files that end in ".mov", ".m4v", or ".mp4" and are playable in QuickTime Player.
I prefer using Plex instead of iTunes for managing and playing movies, TV shows and music videos. It automatically downloads metadata, artwork and subtitles and works with any video format. It's interface is much nicer than iTunes, as well.

Last edited:

Dock Status

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Desktop Movies

The app Desktop movies probably is the best for watching movies while still having access to you device while doing so. Best multitasking movie player for sure.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/desktop-movies/id494476997?mt=12

The picture quality should be the same with all of them.

iTunes: Frequently asked questions about viewing and syncing videos

I prefer using Plex instead of iTunes for managing and playing movies, TV shows and music videos. It automatically downloads metadata, artwork and subtitles and works with any video format. It's interface is much nicer than iTunes, as well.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The app Desktop movies probably is the best for watching movies while still having access to you device while doing so. Best multitasking movie player for sure.
You still have access to your computer while playing a video on Plex. In fact, most of the time I'm watching movies via Plex on my HDTV while using the same computer for other tasks, using another display. Also, Plex is free and manages a library of video files. I don't see where the app you mentioned provides any management or downloads of subtitles, artwork or metadata. It appears to be solely a player of individual videos.

musicmad2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Now you've mentioned it you've got me thinking.. what would you recommend to be the best media application for watching movies? i know QuickTime and VLC are good, but is there a better "freeware" one out there?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Now you've mentioned it you've got me thinking.. what would you recommend to be the best media application for watching movies? i know QuickTime and VLC are good, but is there a better "freeware" one out there?
Did you read the responses in this thread?