Best media player for os x?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by indiochano, Jun 26, 2008.

1. indiochano macrumors regular

Hi there, is there any media player that is as good as the KMPlayer for windows?

KMplayer is fully customizable, even the hot keys... i love the fact that this player is also VERY fast and supports ALL codecs without a glitch... even better than VLC client (as sometimes VLC doesn't properly seek .asf and .wmv video files)

is there any other video player other than VLC that has embedded codecs and added functionality?

Thanks

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I think most if not all OSX media players are using the same library from ffmpeg.

VLC has trouble of smooth transition with WMV when seeking.
    MPlayer for OSX has trouble seeking accurately with WMV

Other than that, these two are pretty decent.

RealPlayer 11 for OSX is decent too, just slow, but much better than its windows version.

Quicktime + plugins like perian can do most job too, just feel its quite slow to start.

3. iTronz macrumors member

I find Quicktime to be pretty good with Perian for supporting .avi files and Flip4Mac for .wmv files. I keep VLC on my machine too in case I ever need support for .mkv files.

4. tuinte macrumors member

Quicktime with Perian and Flip4Mac.

I keep VLC on the machine, but haven't used it in months.

Michael

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Here we go:

1) QuickTime with Perian and Flip4Mac. Simply needed on each Mac.

2) VLC. Does gr8 job playing .ts, .mpegs, .avi's movies with Dolby Surround support

3) MPlayer. Gr8 fun 'n fast media player.

4) XboxMediaCentre for Mac OS X (Intel). Is "Front Row"-like media centre app which does play those x264 .mkv movies with Dolby Surround support!

6. indiochano thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for all the quick responses! :)
    really appreciate the help...

ive already installed perian and flip4mac and it works wonderfully with quicktime! :)