Best Memory for iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jmac049, Jun 9, 2012.

1. jmac049 macrumors member

Anyone have a recommendation for memory? I have 12GB (2 4s and 2 2s) and I was looking to get 2 more 4GB sticks to up it to 16. I've found 2 4GB crucial for just under $50. Don't have a lot of experience with memory for iMacs.

2. TopB macrumors member

I have 12GB in my 2010 IMac, the 4GB that came with it and the 8GB (4GBx2) that I bought from Crucial. It works fine just make sure you use their tool on the site to find the correct memory.

Crucial is a great supplier of RAM, I have used them for both Mac and PC's.

3. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

I ordered a 2x4 GB Crucial kit for my 2010 i7 iMac and I've had no issues. Great RAM.

4. RedCroissant Suspended

I just recently upgraded to 8GB in my 2009 iMac and got the 8GB kit from PNY. works really well and it was only about $50 from Best Buy.

5. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

How long do people think that it'll take for Crucial to start shipping 1600 MHz iMac memory for the new models, assuming that they're upgraded to use that type of memory? I know that you can get plain 1600 MHz memory now, but I'm talking the Mac approved stuff.

6. TimoB macrumors newbie

7. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

8. New Apple macrumors regular

9. JasperNL macrumors member

Do you guys know what the best memory is for me to buy, I've bought the iMac 2011 with the standard 4gb. I want it to upgrade it to 16 gb. I live in the Netherlands so shipping from USA would probably not be the best option for me. Any suggestions?

10. theSeb, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

You simply need memory with the following specifications:

PC3-10600
    Unbuffered
    Nonparity
    204-pin
    1333 MHz
    DDR3 SDRAM
    (note 204 pins - the iMac uses laptop memory)

I can't speak for the Netherlands, but there are hundreds of options to purchase this memory in the UK. Try your local amazon.

For example:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/16gb-kit-(2x8gb)-ddr3-1333mhz-unbuffered-c9-sodimm
    £79

2 of these kits would give you 32 GB of RAM in your iMac.

Even if you don't need 32 GB, I would still purchase one of the 16 GB kits. That way you can keep your existing memory and slot in the two new 8 GB sticks for a total of 20 GB. This will also make it easier to upgrade in the future rather than getting 2 x 8 GB (4 x 4 GB effectively) like this :

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-...)-204-pin-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-9-9-9-24-15v £41

If you get 4 x 4 GB, then you're basically stuck and in the UK it's actually cheaper to get the 16 GB kit than two 8 GB kits by a couple of pounds.

Here you go, £82 on amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMSO16GX3M2A1333C9-Laptop-1333MHz-So-Dimm/dp/B006DI9PG8

So you should be able to find it on your local amazon or equivalent.

11. thecatdad macrumors newbie

I read earlier on this forum about how it is undesirable to mix mem sticks of different volume due to the technology they use (hyper-threading maybe). Is there any science behind this? Would it really be bad for me to reinstall the 2X2 GB that came shipped with the (2011) iMac alongside the 2X4 GB Micron RAM I purchased elsewhere?

Thanks!

12. JasperNL macrumors member

13. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

These days it's not a huge thing. Basically you will be losing a tiny percentage of your memory's performance by mixing different sizes. It won't be noticeable. The increase in performance overall by going from 8 to 12 instead of just 8 with same sticks will be bigger. I hope that's clear.

14. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

Thanks for that heads up. I also assumed mixing sizes (not freq) was a pretty big problem but it looks like things have changed.

15. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

True; at the same time, memory is so dirt cheap right now I find it hard to justify doing anything BUT buying a complete set of new sticks for any computer and installing them all together. I mean why mess around when you can just get a matching set and resell the original sticks (or drawer them for now and put them back in if you sell the Mac later on)

That said, for the original poster, I recommend OWC as well, or also if there is a Fry's Electronics in your area, they offer Corsair MAC Ram kits that are tailored for your exact model just like OWC does, and sometimes they are a better deal than OWC and sometimes not, so it may be worth your time to check. For example for a 2011 iMac or Mac Mini right now the 8GB memory kit (2 x 4GB sticks) is $54 from OWC and $68 from Fry's, but I found the 16GB kit (2 x 8GB sticks) for $108 from Fry's but it's $162 from OWC. Just one of those strange things. I went ahead and grabbed the $108 kit from Fry's and am enjoying 16GB of RAM in my new Mini media server.

16. pdubbbs macrumors newbie

I agree with Corsair. I just put 2x8gb in my MacBook Pro (CMSO16GX3M2A1333C9). I plan on doing the same for my iMac when I buy one. Everyone I have asked has put 2 kits of this 2x8gb Corsair in their iMac and are more than pleased with the results.

Corsair also makes another model of this RAM that they call Mac Memory, which is a little harder to come by. The product ID is the same but has the "O" replaced with an "A" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233251 Not really sure if there is a concrete difference between these. Corsair is running a rebate on this RAM right now so you can get a 2x8gb kit for $90 after rebate.

However, to give some advice I have gained from experience, I would say buy RAM from Amazon WHENEVER possible. This is because very often one stick of RAM in a 2 stick kit can be bad. Amazon has the best return system and it's extremely fast (considering you're a Prime member). When I was updating my MacBook Pro RAM I was very unlucky and had to return the RAM twice before I finally got a working kit. Just be patient and you won't be disappointed with the 2x8gb Corsair!

17. stevenb macrumors member

I always buy from Crucial. Never had a problem and good price, service and quick delivery.

18. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

I love Corsair. Great company and great products.

19. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

I've used crucial in both my wife's MBP and my own. Both machines have had 0 problems. I'm sure it would be the same for you iMac. Good luck!

20. Bear macrumors G3

You won't lose performance by adding a memory kit (2 matching modules) in the correct slots.

If you added a 4GB and a 8GB module is when you would lose that bit of performance. The memory slots in the iMac work in pairs and those paired slots should have identical memory modules for best performance. But the different pairs of slots don't need the same capacity memory kits to keep the performance optimal.

Looking at the front of the iMac one memory kit should be on the left, and the other on the right.

21. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

agree on OWC

I just ordered their 16gb set for my 2010 iMac, that said I've heard a lot of nice things about Crucial.

22. joelvega125 macrumors regular

joelvega125

Right. Until it crashes your iMac. I had 16Gb of pny and all was well for 6 months. Then it would crash all day long. Never using it again. I switched back to the stock 4 gb sticks it came with and smooth sailing since.

23. RedCroissant Suspended

What's wrong with PNY to make it do that? Did you notice any strange behavior before it started crashing? If so, can you tell me what it was?

24. ade0 macrumors newbie

All the 2011 imacs come with 4 GB base RAM.

You think the 2012 models will stay at 4 GB base or move to 8 GB?