Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
I'm a sucker for fashion, and I absolutely HATE all those geektastic laptop bags made from the reinforced nylon with pockets and pen sleeves all over the place.

Out of the links you listed I like the ones from Roots the best. Canadian-made, too! :) Not sure if they're so great for protection though. Just look like normal messenger bags to me.

If you want something more funcitonal, I'd go with the Crumpler bags. They don't look half bad, comparable to Jansport or Lesportsac bags.

ToXicWaSTe

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2006
Denmark
I like that crumpler bags are different and unusual. As for being high on themselves, I think they just want to stand out compared to other companies, and try to appeal to a younger crowd:rolleyes:

This is what i can fit in my bag.. :p

I found out that there is actually a lot more room then i thought, I could fit 2 binders in there as well :p

Attachments

• DSC00296.JPG
    DSC00296.JPG
    416.7 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC00298.JPG
    DSC00298.JPG
    406.8 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC00300.JPG
    DSC00300.JPG
    390.7 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC00299.JPG
    DSC00299.JPG
    335.1 KB · Views: 194

thebrain74

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
The MBp Vyper case is very nice, very well constructed, however if you are the type of personal that *needs* to see lots of squishy foam for you to think that you MBP is safe, this is not the sleeve for you. Instead Booq uses thin high density foam (actually takes a little bit of effort to compress) that I think is pretty protective (haven't tried it out yet with any 6ft drops or anything). Don't get me wrong, it is NOTHING like those soft thin neoprene sleeve that apple sells in their retail stores. I would rate it as a medium protectiveness bag. The outside is a tough ballistic nylon that I would bet is semi-waterproof, along with three stiffer ridges to aid in protection. Also a very slim, sleek sleeve.

I'm pleased with it.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I'd avoid Crumpler bags just on their crappy advertising. They're high on themselves and low on details I'd like to know :mad: It takes GUTS to use their website.

Crumpler are in fact the original of those types of bags. They are beautifully constructed, use top quality materials and look great. The detailing is perfect.

Having said that I recommend the Crumpler Part and Parcel which has all the room you need without being too big.

Get it, you won't be disappointed.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Crumpler are in fact the original of those types of bags. They are beautifully constructed, use top quality materials and look great. The detailing is perfect.
Which one would you suggest for the laptop plus a few more items (power cord, WD Passport hard drive, iPod, maybe a mouse), but no books or anything else large or heavy. I don't want a big bulky bag.

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
I have the crumpler dreadful embarassment for my 15", and a timbuk2 commute, and i love them both. the timbuk2 is built a little more solidly (ballistic nylon, rubber-y liner, etc) but the crumpler is my favorite. it holds everything i need for school, and is crazy comfortable. theyre both fantastic bags.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
I have the crumpler dreadful embarassment for my 15", and a timbuk2 commute, and i love them both. the timbuk2 is built a little more solidly (ballistic nylon, rubber-y liner, etc) but the crumpler is my favorite. it holds everything i need for school, and is crazy comfortable. theyre both fantastic bags.
Hmmm.. I keep hearing (reading?) about that Timbuk2.

Can you please explain why you prefer the dreadful embarassment? Also, would you suggest it for the Macbook, or is it overkill (too big)?

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Which one would you suggest for the laptop plus a few more items (power cord, WD Passport hard drive, iPod, maybe a mouse), but no books or anything else large or heavy. I don't want a big bulky bag.

The one I recommended is the one. It's not big and bulky. I have a MBP and I actually bought The Horseman, because I like heaps of room when I travel overseas to carry all my digital stuff. But for your needs the Part and Parcel would be perfect and in my opinion Crumpler bags are far better constructed than any of it's competitors.

coastertux

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2006
What is the difference between the Timbuk2 Commute and Laptop Messenger? Also, which size of each is best for a MBP 15" and a bunch of books and the power brick?

kingslod

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Timbuk 2

I have the Timbuk 2 computer bag, with the optional shoulder pad, and I really like it--great bag and it looks cool, too. :cool:

kingslod

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Timbuk 2 different bags

What is the difference between the Timbuk2 Commute and Laptop Messenger? Also, which size of each is best for a MBP 15" and a bunch of books and the power brick?

From their site:
What is the difference between the Laptop Messenger and the Commute?
The Laptop Messenger Bag is simply our Medium Classic Messenger Bag with a built-in laptop compartment and a grab strap. This bag is slightly more bike friendly than the Commute due to the sewn in Cam buckle, cross strap, and the thick, sturdy shoulder strap. The Laptop Messenger Bag has an internal organizer pocket, more internal volume than our Commute, but it does not have as many external pockets. The Commute comes with a full-size padded back panel, outside water bottle pockets, an internal organizer pocket, an internal laptop compartment and a grab strap. It comes with a shoulder strap but looks more like a commuter-style briefcase.

I use the commuter bag with my Blackbook and it seems like a good fit to me... The padded back keeps the bag stiffer and feels like it protects your laptop better.

Cheers.

Megatron

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2005
another vote for timbuk2 messenger. I have a medium classic messenger and I have a stm glove sleeve for my MBP, and there's plenty of room in the bag.

psychotropic

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Try Ogio

I recently bought my Macbook Pro and shortly after purchased one of the Ogio executive bags. There is room for books, files and folders, and your laptop. I have no complaints, and I get alot of compliments on the bag. Good luck shopping.

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
I got a Tumi T-Tech Messenger for $100 at Bags and Baggages about a year ago that I really like. Says that it'll only fit a 13" laptop, but I travel with my MBP in it to school everyday and it fits perfect.

There's a compartment inside that makes my MBP fit perfectly snug, and enough space to hold the power adapter, a couple binders and a few notebooks. Oh, and it's also water resistant so if it rains then you're still safe. With this, I've never needed to buy a separate laptop sleeve. It's stylish and doesn't look like a geeky "laptop" bag.

I'm looking for a link to show you a picture but I can't find any, maybe it's been discontinued =\. But if you can find it at a store, it's a very nice bag.

Go to a big mall and look at stores that sell bags and find one that you like. It's better to look in person rather than try to see through online pictures if you'd like a bag. Key thing for a laptop bag though is that it should have a separate compartment for your computer.

HMoth84

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2007
Alexandria, VA
OGIO Street City Corp 08

I recommend the newer OGIO Street City Corp bags (2008 model). The 2007 model is a little too gaudy for me ...

I've been using a gray one (for some reason I can't find the gray one online to show) for most of this year. I travel often for my job so I have plenty of experience with it in airports, hotels, and clients' offices. The top loading main compartment is perfect for pulling my laptop out for security checks (I keep it in a sleeve) with room for an external HDD, power adapter, and mouse (with pad).

The compartment beneath the flap has file separators and I have room to stick my noise canceling headphones in for flights along with a CD case.

Also beneath the flap is a smaller compartment where I keep snacks, flash drives, and other cables. You'll also find the typical pen and coin holders. There's another zippered compartment on the external side of the flap where I stash my in-ear headphones, business cards, and other quick-access items. Oh, and there's a flap on the inner side of the bag where you can keep your airline ticket as you're passing through security toward your gate.

Hope the long post helps. The only reason I'm writing so much is because I never once regretted spending my money on this bag and I get compliments on it as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.