Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Best OS X Lion clean install method

• Install Snow Leopard, then 10.6.8 and finally Lion

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Install Lion and the clean install from Recovery HD

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Install Lion from DVD or USB bootable image

Votes: 18 81.8%

• Total voters

diegobgr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
Hi.

I'm wondering which one is the best way to get a fresh and clean install of Mac OS X Lion.

What have you tried and what have worked best?

-Snow Leopard + 10.6.8 + Lion
-Install Lion and then clean install from Recovery HD
-Install with bootable image of Lion from DVD, USB...

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I booted the usb image on my son's mbp to prove that it worked. I looked for migration options but none showed up. Perhaps they might have showed up after Lion was installed but by then his hdd may have already been wiped and reformatted for lion. Clearly the usb is intended for a fresh install and appears to not offer the same options the SL dvd once offered. For this reason we used install os x lion.app just to make sure all his files and settings came over.

The reason I picked the third choice in your poll is it seems like the best way to avoid bring any 10.6 settings, however short lived, over to Lion.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I used the USB stick method. The fastest an easiest since you don't have to install and download Lion twice. Also good to have the media for future use.

diegobgr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
I am creating a USB, with two partitions; one with the bootable disc of Lion; and the other one with my essentials apps.

But, I have thinking...with this method, may we lose some Snow Leopard features, like Apple Hardware Test, or some apps that included Snow Leopard original release?

diegobgr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
The hardware tests are still there, Xcode is not included though

But Xcode wasn't also included with Snow Leopard, I think.

So, I will have exactly the same if I do Lion from USB instead Snow + 10.6.8 + Lion?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.