Best method for making HD illustrations?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kepardue, Oct 27, 2011.

1. kepardue macrumors 6502

I've got to make some 2d diagrams illustrating power flow through an electrical substation that will have some animation (a spark appearing indicating a break in the circuit, levers throwing, arrows showing the flow of electricity through wires, etc.). What's the best method of doing this?

Creating the illustration in Motion and animating elements there? Seems like it'd be difficult to get some of the curves and specialized shapes.

Creating a base image and components in Photoshop and animating the components within Final Cut Pro X?

I'm sure this is one of those "whatever works best for you" deals, but I'd like to get some thoughts before going in and drawing out graphics. I have Motion, but have never used it before, if anyone can point me to some related tutorials I'd appreciate it.

2. YESimBLUNTED macrumors member

I don't use Motion and don't know what programs you have at your dispense, but I would make the illustrations in Illustrator and then import into After Effects.

No matter what doing your illustrations in Illustrator will be easier and probably better than PS because they will be vector as opposed to raster.

If you don't have the adobe products then I cannot really help you.

Tutorials can be found all over the web, but I like to use Lynda.com as they start from the basics and go over the UI as opposed to getting a tutorial that is designed with the thought of basic knowledge in the program already.

3. handsome pete macrumors 68000

I'd create as many elements as you can in photoshop/illustrator. If you use illustrator, then you'll have the advantage of using vector graphics.

I prefer After Effects, but you should be fine with bringing these elements into Motion.

Things like arrows might be better suited to be created in Motion because there should be more ability to customize and animate along paths.

I'd also look into Motion's particle systems for your sparks.

All of this might be completely over your head though, so I'd definitely look into something like Lynda to get a good foundation on the software itself.