Best Method for Photos Backup

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Klaatu63, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Klaatu63 macrumors regular

Klaatu63

What is the recommended method for creating an off-site physical backup of my Photos library? In the old iPhotos day I would simply backup the entire iPhotos library. Now in Photos I am having trouble locating the single Photos library. My library size was 38 Gb my Photos library show 2 Gb. But Photos has all my pictures?

A simple export feature would be appreciated.

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I don't backup my photos separately. To me they are no more or less important that my documents, movies, music,...etc. I use Time Machine to do backups to a 6TB LaCie d2. You could use two of any type of external drive and weekly rotate one of the drives to an offsite location such as a bank lock box. You might also want to consider online backups with Crashplan or other services.

3. Klaatu63 thread starter macrumors regular

Klaatu63

You probably right. I think I will purchase another larger drive and use my existing Carbon Copy Cloner software to create another physical backup. I not a big fan nor trust the Time Machine application.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use a combination of TimeMachine and Carbon Copy Cloner. Both backup solutions have their advantages and disadvantages. I like both to give me a fully developed backup solution, TM offers near instant, file/folder recovery and CCC offers an easy full system restore.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Something is not right here. Your iPhoto library is 38GB and you imported that into Photos and now the Photos library is only 2GB??

How do you have this box checked in Photos prefs? If it is unchecked and you import photos to Photos, then photos are not actually in the Photos library but only referenced (pointed to) from there.

So if you backup the Photos library the photos are not actually inside that library like you might think and they are not getting backed up.

Screen_Shot_2015-06-16_at_1_11_07_PM.png

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Same here. In addition I backup online using Arq backed up to Amazon's S3 servers.

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

I moved my Photos Library to DropBox.

Every time I open it up, DropBox syncs the changes.

I have my DropBox account linked to my Mini here at home and my parent's computer a few hours away, so unless an earthquake takes out the entire west coast (not all THAT unlikely) AND manages to destroy Amazon's S3 system, I'm good.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only thing about dropbox is the price is rather high compared to other cloud providers. I agree it offers a number of advantages but for me, I'd rather not pay the price.

9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

You don't want to pay $8-ish monthly to back up irreplaceable images?

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, why should I pay when I already back them up on my own equipment. Plus I have my images across external drives, not just my internal disk.

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Off-site backup?

First Dropbox is too expensive, and now anything is too pricey?

The OP was asking for an off-site, physical backup. My method does that, with little user intervention.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Good you did, and I offered my opinion.

I have my backup solution as well and it has little user intervention. I choose not to pay another company any money on something that I can easily do myself.

13. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Good for you, but I'm assuming that someone coming to a forum to ask about backup solutions probably doesn't want to learn how to do it for themselves or doesn't have the time.

Hey, maybe instead of critiquing my suggestion, you could offer the OP an alternative?