Best Method for Resetting an Air Prior to Sale

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Scarpad, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

restart and hold alt while you restart, select reinstall OSX Lion. It will reinstall the OS and delete all of your data, next time you startup it will be exactly like when you bought the computer.

3. echo.park macrumors regular

echo.park

No, it will not. Before you reinstall the OS you have to erase the hard drive.

Why won't you just check the users manual?

4. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Then I guess its lying when it warns that installing to that drive will erase its contents.

There is another option to restore from time machine if you want to retain your data...but reinstalling the OS will wipe your data...I have done it...it works.

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

6. Stewart21 macrumors regular

Hmmm, I would create a new user "User" or whatever, with admin rights. Restart and log in as the new user then delete the account you used as your previous main user. All you files and folders should be gone after that. If you have apps you need to delete then delete them in the usual way.

Stewart

7. gentlefury, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012

gentlefury macrumors 68030

Again, when you select re-install Lion it will delete EVERYTHING. If you want to restore your settings and prefs you can use migration assistant with a time machine, but if you don't you will be back to factory.

If you are seriously that paranoid, you can just go into disk utility from inside the recovery partition and format the drive prior to installation.

8. diggy33 macrumors 6502

diggy33

This is why I always capture an image of the base OS and save to an external drive, and create a bootable partition on an external drive. When I want to get rid of a machine, I boot off the external, zero out the drive, and then use Disk Utility to reinstall the base OS. A bit of overkill, but its the way I was taught long ago, and its a practice I'll continue to follow.