Best Method for routing iPhone 5 audio through stock Honda Accord?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Ahheck01, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Ahheck01 macrumors 6502

I have a 2006 Honda Accord with the CD changer currently. It has no Aux in. The previous owner had installed a 30-pin plug that sits in the glove box, but it only works on old iPods.

I'll be mounting it on a Pro Clips mount just to the right of the instrument cluster so it's easily in reach to use Siri for navigation and music.

I'd like to be able to route that audio through the sound system. What are my options?

Thanks all!

2. duneriderltr450 macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

What model head unit is it? You can take the glove box out and route the wire through the dash. If you take the head unit out you will probably have better access. If it is a USB plug in to the back of the head unit, and you need to make the wire longer you can a USB extension cable. Then just use the 30 pin to lightning adapter to connect.

3. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

As mentioned in the OP, it's the stock head unit. See attached photo:

Attached Files:

4. duneriderltr450, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012

duneriderltr450 macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

5. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd like to keep the stock head unit - what I'm asking is what's the best way to interface an iPhone 5 with a stock head unit so I can play the audio through it?

6. duneriderltr450 macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

Well you said you got a 30 pin connecter in the glove box. You can still use that if you buy the 30 pin to lightning adapter to plug it into the iphone 5. but you need to route it to the cluster area so I was just saying that you need to take a few things apart to get the cable to where you want to mount the phone.

You can also just use an fm transmitter so the sound plays over the radio but it's not the best audio quality. Here is one I use in my company truck. It's called the Jam Cast.

Attached Files:

7. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, but I also said that the connector in question isn't compatible with anything but old iPods, so I need to replace it altogether.

Yeah, FM transmitter won't work just based on quality, unfortunately.

At this point, I'm just looking for something that will connect a stock head unit to an iPhone 5 for routing audio.

8. jester0723 macrumors regular

9. theautopilot, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012

theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

I don't understand why it only works with old iPods. I have tried lots of pretty old 30 pin docks and car systems and all have worked with the iPhone 5 using the adaptor. In fact I have a friend with one dock that did not work with my iPhone 4 that does work with my iphone 5 and adaptor.

Assuming the adaptor did work; If you can't re-route the cable to the proclip, you could buy a old 30 pin extension cable to connect to the connection in the glove box and use an adapter on the end.

If it definitely wont work; the only other option i know for retaining the stock head unit, which has no AUX in options, is what I use - a Dice Uni 200. Works with the iPhone 5, no adaptor required, just plug your lightning cable in.

http://audiovox.diceelectronics.com/fmrds-usb-pro-avx

There are other similar products, but I think the Dice is the best and great value for money. Sounds surprisingly good too and much better than a crummy FM transmitter.

10. jermy4 macrumors demi-god

I just put this in my car: http://usaspec.com/product.php?ProductID=78&forceShowProduct=1

It is compatible with pretty much any bluetooth enabled phone, ipod, etc. The sound quality isn't all that great but it is very convenient since it automatically connects when I start the car and the track forward and back can be controlled with the steering wheel controls as well as the call answer and/or hangup with the same buttons.

On your accord all you have to do is remove the cubby under the radio to install an aux input (you can follow jester's pictures for exact details on how to do it).

USA Spec also makes an ipod/iphone adapter that plugs into this bluetooth adapter if you want both but you would have to also purchase a 30 pin to lightning adapter from apple in order to use it with your iphone 5: http://usaspec.com/product.php?ProductID=29

I may add the wired adapter to my car later so I can get better sound and the track information displayed on the radio screen.

11. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

I'm either going to go with the Blitzsafe and the 30-pin to lightning adapter or wait until they make a straight to lightning hookup.

12. Yousefarman macrumors member

I bought the USA spec BT35-HON and it has been great! Wireless Bluetooth streaming works like a champ. Cannot complain! Install is very straightforward also

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

not sure what you can do aside from a fm radio with keeping the stock unit

14. dinggus macrumors 65816

15. iFiend macrumors 65816

Got one of these for Christmas.

I've used FM transmitters in the past, without much success, but this is an excellent product. I drove home 5 hours last night and while I needed to seek for a better station a few times (understandable since I was traveling over several state lines), it worked flawlessly. It has a built-in mic, which worked surprisingly well for taking calls, and it also allowed me to use Siri for everything (turn-by-turn, sending a text, shuffling artists, etc). I didn't think I'd find the next-song/previous-song/play-pause buttons useful but they are great. Best of all, I sat in the car this morning to come to the office, turned the ignition, heard my phone connect auto-magically, pressed play, and started where I left off when I got home last night.

Couldn't be happier :D

16. vietalogy macrumors 6502

Try gromaudio.com works with stock head unit with Bluetooth streaming.