Best method for selling older macbooks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tums, Mar 23, 2014.

1. tums macrumors member

Anybody have any advice for selling old Macbooks? 2010-2012. What is the best method (besides Craigslist)?

I have notice that Ebay and Amazon marketplace fees seems to be in upwards of 10-12% of price.

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Pretty much craigslist or eBay. Otherwise find a family member or friend. I tried to sell my 09 and got no bites. There's also the Marketplace forum here if you have access to it. You can specify for people in your area if you want.

3. Hetchins52 macrumors newbie

Gazelle.com will give a check or 5% over their valuation with an Amazon gift card.
    Best Buy will give you a Best Buy gift card.
    sellyourmac.com will pay you.
    I think all of these companies have on-line value calculators.
    They're pretty low friction options, unlike Craigslist.
    Even Apple will buy back but I'm not sure if has to be linked with a new purchase.

4. accountforit macrumors 6502a

....and they will all give you way less than your computer is worth so they can resell it for much more on ebay.

Sell it yourself on ebay. If you have an ebay store subscription, then the fees for selling a computer is 4% plus the 2.9% Paypal takes. You will still net way more selling it yourself on ebay than selling it to one of those major resellers.

5. rex450se macrumors regular

I've been buying, upgrading and resaling Mac's here lately to keep myself busy while I'm out of work and have had great luck on Craigslist. I did sell a pc laptop on eBay but only because it was such a high end laptop I wanted to get the most I could out of it. I sold a couple of Mac's on eBay as well but in the end it just isn't worth it. Yes, it will probably sell for less on Craigslist, but once you factor eBay fees, Paypal fees, finding a box and properly packaging it for a shipment, I think you'll end up about the same selling through Craigslist. The pc laptop I sold on eBay cost me $200 in eBay fees, $70 in Paypal fees and $80 for shipping. But it was more that the $1200 people on Craigslist were offering for it after all fees were paid. But the Mac's I've sold from $100-$700 I've had great luck with. I've had a couple MacBooks, 8 PowerMac's, a couple MacBook pros and a few eMac's. Just make sure you meet in a public place and when it's light out and you won't have any troubles. And trust your gut, if they don't sound legit, don't meet them, or take a buddy with you. Just don't be one of the idiots that puts and ad on Craigslist like this:

I have a mac for sale. $600 call or text

and forget to put their number in. Be descriptive, give the Mac a fresh restore of the OS and when you put your phone number spell some of the numbers out to prevent bots from texting you with the "I want the item and will pay $50 extra if you ship it to me" scams. Good luck

Victor

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I bought my current MBP and sold my old one on Craigslist with no problems. Also picked up an 23" ACD for a cheap price.

I've sold a bunch of other stuff on eBay (iPods and iPads and other gear) but it's easier to ship.

7. inboxer macrumors regular

Try selling your Macbook using buybackworld. I've used the site several times and they always seem to offer higher prices than gazelle or sellyourmac. They will even ship you a box to send it back to them in. You can get an upfront price quote using their calculator here: http://www.buybackworld.com/sell/macbook

8. petey2133 macrumors member

I got almost 400 for a non working 17" 2010 on amazon with no charger as trade in. Posted it all over the web with no bites.