Best method to display iTunes video on TV?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Slip Jigs, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

I guess I"ll ask this here because I do know I'll need an AV dock or cable of some sort.

My objective is to download TV shows or movies from iTunes, and play them on my TV via the iPhone. But, if the results are to be crappy, I'd rather not invest the time or money. I have an HD systme, but I'm not expecting that sort of quality. So to get me started -

1. What resolution are the iTunes vids in? Are they consistent or do they vary?
    2. Will that resolution be downsized when I transfer to the iPhone?
    3. Should I get a dock or cable with Component, SVideo, Composite outputs? Do they exist? Is there a big differnece in this instance?

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

isn't this what the appleTV is for? ... I would assume that the videos are going to be compressed so that they are the right resolution for the iphone's screen, and it wouldn't look that good once you bring it over to a real TV ...

3. Slip Jigs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, that is what apple TV is for, but I'm not ready to take that plunge just yet. iTunes video IS compressed, MPEG4, but I don't know if the computer download is the same compresion as when it gets to the iphone, or to apple TV for that matter. I've heard reports that using this method produces good results, at least as good as SD TV or even DVD, but I'd like to know a little more about the specs first.