iPad Best method to link iPad to Desktop

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 1981d, Aug 5, 2014.

1. 1981d macrumors regular

I have a desktop at work, but I don't use it that much. So, to regain some valuable desk space I turned off the monitor and put the computer under my desk. Instead, I use the my iPad Air for most of my work related activities (e-mail and document creation in pages). When I need something more advanced, I use the GoToMyPC app to jump into my desktop from the iPad. It's a bit of a pain, as the app doesn't really seem optimized for IOS, but it's worth it to keep the desktop out of the way.

My question is, does anybody have any experience with a Remote Desktop app that has a better user experience than GoToMyPC? Or, barring that, one that has lower costs but with the same functionality?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

3. GreyMattR macrumors newbie

NoMachine.com

I've not used for iPad, but for other clients its head-and-shoulders above other remote access solutions.

4. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

I've used PocketCloud, and it works very well. I haven't used it in a while, but I was amazed at how easy it was to use.

I just checked it out in the App Store, and apparently they have changed their licensing model since I used it last. They offer an in-app purchase for 'premium'. Interesting. I think I had the 'Premium' app originally. I'll have to play with it some and see if it still is. Somehow I doubt it, but it worked great when I was using it.

It's by Wyse Technology of whom I neither work for or benefit from in any way.

It looks like Microsoft Remote Desktop is available for iPad. I'll have to check that out...

Cheers...

5. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Give Splashtop Streamer a look while you're at it. I don't know how it stacks up against other apps, but in general it's really good.

6. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

I second Splashtop. I've tried a handful of different ones (RDP, PocketCloud, TeamViewer etc..) and Splashtop has worked the best for me so far. Only downside is you have to pay a subscription fee if you aren't on the same network as the PC. I've never heard of NoMachine mentioned earlier. Giving it a shot now..