Best method to move run iTunes from ext hd

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by From A Buick 8, Jun 1, 2012.

1. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Ok after searching and reading through post, what is the best method for storing and running my itunes library from my new Drobo.

I have read through the apple method (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449?viewlocale=en_US) and it seems kind of complicated.

I have also seen post that say that i can just move my iTunes folder to the Drobo, hold down option when i start iTunes and point to it.

But which method is best, what are the drawbacks if any. I ask because i used the simple method the last time, but after running into some issues 2 years later i want to make sure the apple method is not better in the long run.

2. From A Buick 8 thread starter macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

One of the issues was there were sometims more then 1 folder created for some Tv shows.

3. From A Buick 8 thread starter macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

The other issue was that iTunes kind of lost it mind and could no longer identify the iTunes folder on the ext drive. Now i am 99% sure that this was a failure of the Ext drive, because it stared to act weird (taking a long time for folders to open). Basically i just decided to start over and rebuild my iTunes library on that drive, but i kept getting errors as i was moving the files around. Like i said i think it is just a flakey drive. I have decided to go with a Drobo, should arrive on tuesday, and I'm going to rebuild my iTunes library from some other backups i have (of just the media files). So i am looking for the best method to cart the iTunes library on that new Drobo.

I will then replace the failed ext drive (in an OWC enclousure) and only use that for a once a month backup of the files on the Drobo.

4. From A Buick 8 thread starter macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Looks like im just talking to myself, so I'll finish. I have my Drobo now and im going to use the longer apple method to move the files. Wish me luck.