Best Microphone for the Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ckfoot01, May 26, 2009.

1. ckfoot01 macrumors newbie

Hello everybody, I was wondering if any knows of the best microphone to buy for the Mac Pro. I just recently got my new Mac Pro and I make videos and do some voiceover work. However I have to use my old PC with a mic because that mic doesn't work with the Mac Pro.

Any suggestions on a good quality sounding mic that won't cost me a ton?

Also I just made my first video ever from the Mac and first time using FCP. Please take a look and vote on it if you want. You can win money just for voting! Let me know your thoughts and if you think I could use a better mic for voiceovers. I appreciate any help and feedback.

http://shar.es/mN6R

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

The original iSight camera microfons via Firewire are known to work well. I have also heard the Sony Playstation camera via USB is a good replacement. It also has stereo microfones.

3. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

So you're not actually after the best microphone, but the best value one for your budget. Might be worth letting us know what sort of budget you're working with and people can make suggestions based on that.

4. dagomike macrumors 65816

I use a Mic Port Pro. It's really cool, and basically lets you use your mic of choice. Also, you can plug in a studio headset to hear yourself. Lots of versatility there. You can find a cheap used mic somewhere, and then can easily upgrade down the road. Also, you can plug in a mixer.

I use a Shure SM7B on it and it makes a real nice sound. My only complaint with this setup is the SM7B needs a good pre-amp and the MicPort Pro is a little weak. If my voice person isn't half-way decent at projecting I have to add some gain in post.

Anyway, I highly recommend a mic of some sorts. I really hate all these screen casts/podcasts just using a lame desktop or computer mic and get to listen to his entire room. You can also look at a simple headset mic which should give good isolation on the cheap.

5. Olivier L. macrumors member

Very good idea, especially for recording long voice over in one sequence. You can still move a little bit and have a relaxed position, without having to think about maintaining appropriate distance with a fixed microphone.

6. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Hands down, the best microphone for voiceovers is the Zoom H4 Handy Recorder. I do a lot of flash tutorial videos for clients and use this microphone on the MP for voiceover. Crystal clear recordings 99% of the time. Also a big help when I video weddings. It's got many advanced features, but it's still easy to use right out of the box. It's also a little pricey.

Click here for another review..

7. dagomike macrumors 65816

Hmm. $215 could buy you a lot more microphone that what that recorder ships with. $0.02

8. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I use an FA101 (Edirol) F/W interface, or a UA25 USB. From there to the Symetrix 528E processor and Neuman TLM103 microphone.

Sounds Phenomenal!

Others to look at

The Apogee Duet is awesome, as is the Ensemble (I just ordered it!) Mics, check out the Blue Baby Bottle or EV RE20 or 27. SM58 from Shure can be used as a hammer on stage as well as a mic:) They last forever and are under a hundred bucks. More of a live/instrument mic.

J

9. ckfoot01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I forgot to mention what kind of budget i'm working with. I'd say anything under $250. Anything more than that is a bit much. I have a $30 mic now from my PC and it does alright. I can edit the audio for voiceovers I do. I'm just looking for something good that I don't have to edit like crazy just to sound decent.

Thanks for all the input so far all have been good suggestions.

10. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

The best microphone for the MacPro is the best microphone period. I'm a bit of a mic buff and I recommend the Heil PR-40. It's one of the few dynamic mics in existence specifically engineered for voice. Heil is the genius behind the custom sound set-ups for bands like the Grateful Dead and several others as well as radio personalities like Art Bell who also swears by the PR-40.

[​IMG]

You can pick one up for about $250 but they easily profile like a mic you would pay several thousand for. I boom mine over and to the side a bit like this woman is doing:

[​IMG]

Such a boom stand will run you an additional $30 ~ $60 from any audio-head shop.

11. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Thanks for the head's up Tesselator....I haven't heard the Heils yet, but you have me curious....I, too, enjoy mics...and the Dead:)

I will have to see if I can find one locally...

Peace

J

12. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Bob was the sound engineer for the James Gang too BTW. I said "several others" but I thought I would add that. Mr. Heil is seriously offering top studio grade mics for low-end prices (also it's a family business) and deserves a some kudos - even if from lowly me. :)

13. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

14. InsertCatchyNic macrumors member

Don't all these mics require some sort of pre-amp? It was my understanding that the Mac Pro only has a line level input and not a mic input.

15. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

A mic like the Heil shown above would need a preamp with phantom power. A mic like the Snowflake I linked to above plugs right into a USB port.