'Best' Microphone

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by lockjawdavis, Aug 6, 2008.

1. lockjawdavis macrumors newbie

I'm a total newbie to Garageband and digital recording. I just bought an M Audio DMP3 pre-amp and am looking for a microphone that can work as a vocal mic and pitch in for recording acoustic guitar and an electric through a small amp. I'm not looking for top quality recording (which is why I didn't buy a top-quality pre-amp), but would like to end up with something listenable that I could ultimately share with other musicians and flesh out in a real studio down the road. Is there a mic out there that fits the bill without breaking the bank?

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I'd recommend the AKG Perception 150, only ~£50 (~$110) and works well with most different kinds of instruments.

If you're willing to spend more, I'm a big fan of the Røde NT1-A, which is excellent for it's price, although it's a bit like marmite - you'll either love it or hate it. Most seem to be in the 'love' camp though. They're ~£110 (~$230). Comes with a free popshield too, which is a necessity for recording vocals.

3. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

4. lockjawdavis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. I was hoping to stay in the ballpark of $200.

5. BCains macrumors regular

I would personally check out: For acoustic/vocals etc
    Audio Technica AT3035 ($200)
    CAD M179 ($200)
    Sterling Audio ST55 ($200)

and than pick up a Shure SM57 ($99) for everything else.

Shop those prices around, generally if you are buying two they'll give you a discount on one of them.

6. lockjawdavis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Bcains and killyp. This helps, and will definitely get me started n the right direction.