Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I'm planning to migrate from a Mac Mini 2011 to a new iMac. I'm wondering based on other people's experiences, what's a better approach:

• Using the Mac to Mac option (direct transfer) on Migration Assistant
  • Using the Time Machine backup option on Migration Assistant

Thanks for any advice!

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
I just made a very similar move just yesterday. After much internal debate I just decided to start fresh and rebuild. Really helped me get rid of some of the extra stuff I had collected over the years. I just started fresh then just went in and grabbed what I needed out of the time machine through the finder.

I just made sure to copy and paste the contents of the iMessage archive and iTunes folder to the new machine. Replacing the folders on the new machine with the apps closed, rebooted and it was like they were always there.

I didn't like the time machine restore as it locked down the machine for hours to do the transfer. I preferred to move everything over piecemeal and still be able to use the machine.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My advice (if you have an external drive)

1. Download CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (both free for 30 days)
2. Use either to create a complete clone of the (old) internal drive.
3. Take the new computer out of the box, DON'T turn it on yet
4. Connect the cloned backup
5. NOW turn on the new iMac
6. Begin setup. At the appropriate moment, setup assistant will ask if you wish to migrate data from another Mac or drive. YES you want to do this
7. "Aim" setup assistant at the connected backup
8. Select what you wish to bring over (apps/accounts/settings/data)
9. Let setup assistant do its thing. It may take a while.
10. When done, you should be presented with the login screen for the new iMac. It should "look like" the desktop did before (on the old one)

Reactions: LincolnsiPod

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
I second Fishrrman's suggestion except for one tiny detail: instead of using CCC or SuperDuper I would use Time Machine. I have recently migrated between several Macs, going back and forth, and haven't experienced any issues with Migration Assistant restoring from an up-to-date Time Machine backup.

That said it really doesn't make a difference as it does the exact same thing whether you point it at a cloned drive, a Time Machine backup, or a running Mac. Absolutely no difference at all.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm inclined to lean towards Time Machine myself since I have the latest backup there and I'm presuming it would be faster as well, since a Mac to Mac transfer would likely be done over WiFi. :)

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Why should it be any faster when restoring from a CCC backup instead of a Time Machine backup? It's copying files from one hard disk to another - file systems will be identical, structure will be identical, everything will be basically identical.

And even if it does take less time: what about the time it takes to create a CCC backup in the first place? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.