Best Mini Display to HDMI adapter for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by insmgg, Jul 1, 2011.

1. insmgg macrumors member

Sorry if this has been asked before but I was hoping to get the most updated information.

What's the best adapter right now that isn't overpriced? I was hoping to get one that supports audio so I don't have to buy anything extra. Also, what's the best HDMI to HDMI cable or are they all the same? I see Apple sells one for $20.

2. troop231 macrumors 603

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2

3. insmgg thread starter macrumors member

4. jordandmb macrumors newbie

I'm going to post a question in this thread if that's alright. Can I use any kind of adapter for my MBP i'm looking to do the same thing, mini display to HDMI but my question is will it void any kind of warranty or cause any damage to my MBP, if I use an adapter that apple doesn't have on there site for recommend use with the MBP

This may be a dumb question, but I thought I would be safe than sorry.

Thanks.

5. DWBurke811, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Monoprice is legit. I've placed somewhere in the range of 10 orders and never had anything but top notch service.

Yes, it does sound if your Mac can; I think they started doing audio over MDP in mid 2010.

Get your HDMI cables from monoprice as well, a $5 and $100 (yay monster: they have to have 1000% profit margins, I wish I had thought of the idea of "premium" cables) HDMI cable will perform the same. They're digital, more or less it either works or doesn't; there isn't really a "better."

Yes, you can use any adapter you want and not void your warranty; aside from that, how would Apple have any idea what adapter you used?

6. KwanMan macrumors regular

just find the cheapest one on ebay that supports hdmi v1.3/4 . it's a digital signal so the quality will all be the same. and no it will not damage you mbp or void warranty. i got mine for £1.70 (around USD$2.50) and it works perfectly

7. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

I can speak from personal experiance that monoprice is 100% legit and I have purchased HDMI cables from them in the past and the price and quality is great. with digital content the info is either a 1 or a 0, unlike analog which scales. It always makes me laugh when major electrinics retailers try and sell you "high end" digital cables.

Just to avoid any issues with audio content being outputted to my TV I purchased the Kanex mini display port cable from apple.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H4637ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3Ng&mco=MjA4NjU2MjY

8. insmgg thread starter macrumors member

9. DWBurke811, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Yes sir.

I get the thicker cables w/o the cores on the ends, but there's no reason that cable shluldn't work perfect, the only "bad" review I saw was that it's not super flexible, but who knows how "not flexible" it is. My monoprice cables aren't as flexible as say Deans Wet Noodle wire(I'm hardcore into RC 1/8 scale off road buggies/truggies), but for what you use a HDMI cable for there's nothing wrong with them.

10. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Only the first cable you listed is HDMI to HDMI, the other two are MDP to HDMI, but they will not do audio, just video.

If you want a white cable I would get this one, http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=4026&seq=1&format=2

I don't think the cores would bother you really, and I would really recommend going at least 6', I think it would be tough hooking up to a wall mounted TV with 3'.

Sorry it took me so long to respond, looking at it all on my iphone is harder than I thought lol.

EDIT: if you don't want cores, just look for something that's around 28 gauge. Any thicker isn't really needed and will just make the cable less flexible.

11. insmgg thread starter macrumors member

12. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

No prob.

The three foot one you listed is thicker than the 6 foot one(that's what she said), so in theory it's "better," but less flexible.