Best MiniDV video tapes to use?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jayeskreezy, Jun 11, 2007.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Which videos have the best quality that wont destroy your tape deck? Which brand? Thanks!

2. gwangung macrumors 65816

Don't mix Panasonic and SOny brands. They've been reformulating the lubricants over the years and some are not compatible.

I tend to use Panasonic Advanced Master QUality (nothing longer than the 63 minute length); density tends to be high enough so that you don't see as many dropouts. However, anything by the major brands tends to be OF.

3. -DH macrumors 65816

I've been through close to 2500 MiniDV tapes - all of them Sony Premium series (DVM60PR). After all those tapes, I've only had one drop out and one tape shell that was defective.

-DH

4. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I use Panasonic too. I get good results with the pro series and master. I was at a Panasonic repair facility. What they told me was not to mix dry and wet lube tapes. Choose one, or the other and stay with it. But, as you said, Sony and Panasonic are especially problematic.

5. Keebler macrumors 68030

ditto for panasonice advanced. great quality and consistency.

i will say this... do not and i mean DO NOT use JVC.

They royally suck. I can't tell you how many times i've seen problems with clients tapes of this brand. they're just horrible!

good luck,
    keebler

6. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

For some reason I always use Maxell. I dont think they are the best, I just tend to use them. I have never really had any problems, but I would expect Panasonic to be nicer.

7. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

You said best. Does that include low-price?

Best: Panasonic AY-DVM63MQ
    Lube: dry/ powder.

Don't mix wet lube and dry lube. Which boils down to Panasonic vs. everyone else. So, only use AY-DVM63MQs or AY-DVM63PQs.