Best modem for Apple Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vmv89, Aug 19, 2014.

1. vmv89, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014

vmv89 macrumors member

vmv89

I just purchased Apple's Time Capsule. (Hope it will give me more stable and faster speeds).
    Currently I am using Motorola Surfboard SBG 6580 combo modem/router.

I will be taking it out since it is not needed with Time Capsule, but I still need a modem.

What modem has sufficient power/speed for Time Capsule?

IS IT POSSIBLE TO USE MY CURRENT ROUTER/MODEM ONLY AS MODEM WITH TIME CAPSULE? HOW WOULD I DO THAT? WILL IT AFFECT THE PERFORMACE SPEED?

Thanks!

2. awests macrumors regular

The Time Capsule performance (for backups) is independent of the modem. It only uses the local network for backups.

The SBG 6580 can be put into bridge mode, check the link How to put into bridge mode

The modem can handle DL speeds of up to 343 Mbps and UL speeds of up to 131 Mbps, so it can certainly handle a fast connection too/from your ISP. Your performance should not be degraded if you put it into bridge mode.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Perhaps a better question is what guaranteed bandwidth did you purchase and verify from the cable provider?

See what you are getting with Speedtest. http://www.speedtest.net

If it is not what you purchased, contact the cable company.

For example my download speed is 23Mbps and the upload speed is 2Mbps. Those match up to what I purchased.

4. vmv89 thread starter macrumors member

vmv89

When I connect via ethernet my speed is 120 MB/s. That is more than what I purchased. Wifi gives me around 80 MB/s. But when I have Bluetooth mouse and keyboard on, everything drops to 10 or less.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The speed of your connection is not affected by the Time Capsule. Follow the instructions posted by awests to set the modem into bridge mode and the Time Capsule as the router. The modem should be more than plenty for most any home connection.

6. vmv89 thread starter macrumors member

vmv89

When I did run it as bridge, internet connection disappeared. Had to reset the router/modem to get it back on.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Did you have the Time Capsule in DHCP and NAT mode? Always reboot both the modem and Time Capsule when making changes like that.

8. vmv89 thread starter macrumors member

vmv89

Thanks for the help.
    My brother gave me his Motorola SB6141 Modem so I will be connecting it as usual. He says it is really nice modem so got to see if it will work well with Time Capsule.

But I have another question maybe someone can help me solve:

I would like to put a password on Wifi access so only members of my family will be able to use Wifi network and not the people from my area.

And I would love to put a separate password for Time Capsule hard drive access so only I, and nobody else can access the information.

Is it possible to have two separate passwords, if yes, how would I do that?

Thanks!

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. Under the wireless tab you should set the security to WPA2 Personal with a good password. Under the disks tab you should set it to base station password or set up an account for yourself.

10. vmv89 thread starter macrumors member

vmv89

Great! Glad it is possible to do so.

My MBP supports a/c network, but other people in the household have computers that do not support it. Is it possible for MBP to connect via a/c and others via n network at the same time?

Thank you so much for the help!:)

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. Provided you did not separate the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz bands, the MacBook and Time Capsule will negotiate with each other the best band and speed to connect at.

12. vmv89 thread starter macrumors member

vmv89

I have not set it up yet, will do it tomorrow night. But I was told (if I understood correctly) by the Apple technician that I will see in Airport menu two choices 2.4 GHz and 5GHz and can choose whatever network I wish to connect to. Does it mean it will be separated?

I am so confused right now. :confused:
    All I want is for MBP to use the fastest possible connection on Time Capsule, but others still be able to connect.

I will see how it goes tomorrow and learn by doing it I guess.

Thanks!

:):apple::)

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is an option. You are able to separate them but by default they use the same name. For example, if you name the network "Smith Wireless" the MacBook will determine the best speed and band to use. There is an option in AirPort Utility to separate the bands.

14. vmv89 thread starter macrumors member

vmv89

So do you recommend to keep them as one network?
    And even though 2.4 and 5 will be under the same name, my MBP will still connect via a/c and others via n?

Really appreciate your help!

Thanks!:)

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. The negotiation is very seamless and usually works flawlessly. Yes. The MacBook will connect at AC if it is able to negotiate that speed.