Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
regarding the apple led monitor, because the it was primarily meant for the macbook, is there a cable extension to get it to your macpro if its under the desk.

The only thing that comes to mind would be getting an adapter then an extension for that. Like maybe a MDP to DVI adapter and then a DVI extension able. But that will cost ya... They really do need a MDP extension cable.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
Samsung F2380
NEC EA231WMi
Dell u2311h

I'm considering on of these three. I need a secondary monitor for photo and video work. I use a 23" ACD as my main screen. Any thoughts? These both seem to be in my price range.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
My sister is going for the Dell UltraSharp 2311 when the new MPs are available. I think it is technically the best display of these three combined with a really good price.

Yeah I think I was leaning towards the dell myself. The best price I can find is Dell's $319+tax. Any other deals I don't know about or should I just call Dell and hope for a discount?

Fiete5401

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2009
Germany
Yeah I think I was leaning towards the dell myself. The best price I can find is Dell's $319+tax. Any other deals I don't know about or should I just call Dell and hope for a discount?

Calling seems to get the highest rebates. A lot of people on this forum got their rebate this way.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
Awesome!!! I'll definitely be calling them when I order mine too now!

You gotta haggle a little bit. The rep was a little reluctant saying they didn't have any specials on that particular model. I said a friend of mine recently got one and was offered a special promotion that wasn't available on the online store and that's what convinced me to buy. Then I waited a minute and got offered 10% off. :)

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
You gotta haggle a little bit. The rep was a little reluctant saying they didn't have any specials on that particular model. I said a friend of mine recently got one and was offered a special promotion that wasn't available on the online store and that's what convinced me to buy. Then I waited a minute and got offered 10% off. :)

Good advice, thanks!

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
U2311H disappointment

Anyone running a setup with 2 or more of the U2311H's?

How is it? Does it look good?

I have a new Dell U2311H. It's perfect as far as pixels but the display seems to work poorly with OS X. Big disappointment.

I have it connected to a Mid 2009 MBP. I've used a DP to mini DP cord, a DVI to mini DP adapter and even customized the Dell's menu for these inputs.

Text is very smudgy. It's very annoying. I works well on a Windows box I have so I'll keep it.

I know it's the monitor because the output from the same MBP to a four year old Samsung 24" display via DVI/mini DP adapter is great.

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I have a new Dell U2311H. It's perfect as far as pixels but the display seems to work poorly with OS X. Big disappointment.

I have it connected to a Mid 2009 MBP. I've used a DP to mini DP cord, a DVI to mini DP adapter and even customized the Dell's menu for these inputs.

Text is very smudgy. It's very annoying. I works well on a Windows box I have so I'll keep it.

I know it's the monitor because the output from the same MBP to a four year old Samsung 24" display via DVI/mini DP adapter is great.

That sounds pretty unusual - aside from only ever really hearing good things about the U2311H - its pretty odd that the operation system would be to blame for poor display =/

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
That sounds pretty unusual - aside from only ever really hearing good things about the U2311H - its pretty odd that the operation system would be to blame for poor display =/

Yes it is pretty odd.

It's only with text. Text rendering on OS X and Windows is different - that's a whole big matter of personal preference. When OS X is displayed well it's a wash between it and Windows for me.

My U2311H displays text in OS X very poorly. Maybe it's defective. I may have to call Dell. It's not the MBP's output because it looks great on other external displays.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I'm trying to decide between the u2311h and this. There is a little bit of a price difference but if the NEC one will work better then I might get that one. Anyone have the NEC?

Edit: Also looking at this one, it seems like a good price and still IPS, same size, same res, anyone know anything about this monitor?

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
@OP

You've been going on about buying a monitor worthy of your Mac Pro for almost four months. If you were really serious about it, you would have bought a damn monitor long ago. Sheesh! Do you suffer from chronic indecision syndrome? or are you just looking for attention?

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Yes it is pretty odd.

It's only with text. Text rendering on OS X and Windows is different - that's a whole big matter of personal preference. When OS X is displayed well it's a wash between it and Windows for me.

My U2311H displays text in OS X very poorly. Maybe it's defective. I may have to call Dell. It's not the MBP's output because it looks great on other external displays.

I'm also a bit baffled how it would only be text that comes out blurry. Is it really only the text? Do other things end up blurry?

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
@OP

You've been going on about buying a monitor worthy of your Mac Pro for almost four months. If you were really serious about it, you would have bought a damn monitor long ago. Sheesh! Do you suffer from chronic indecision syndrome? or are you just looking for attention?

First off, why do so many people on MacRumors have to be so rude to people all the time? Second, did I ever say when I was getting the Mac Pro? Maybe I was waiting for the new ones with better CPUs and GPUs? Did you think of that? Obviously not. And did you think that maybe I take my purchases seriously and want to find the best deal? Again, obviously not.

And how have I been going on about one worthy? I just want to find the best one for the price, how is that bad at all?

Throughout this thread, I started off wanting a 24" LED, then found out IPS is more important, then found out the difference between 23 and 24" is nothing, then went through different people suggesting different monitors. I decided on the u2311h about a month ago but was not going to order it until I order my 2010 MP. Now that people are saying the text looks bad, I may not get that one. I don't see the problem here.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
To you and anyone else worried about text, this post will interest you.

That is very interesting! Hopefully when someone on heres tries it they will let us know!

After the command do you need to restart or something like that?

EDIT: So its not just the Dell monitor, it is all non-Apple monitors, correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.