Best Monitor for MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MitchellMck, Mar 2, 2012.

1. MitchellMck macrumors member

Hey guys,

So I've decided I'm going to splash out on a monitor for my 2011 MacBook Pro but I really don't know what to go for. I'm looking for one maybe between 20" and 25" and price doesn't really matter but I don't want to go as far as an Apple Thunderbolt display. I have the high res display on my MacBook (1680 x 1050) so does this mean I'll have to buy a monitor with the same resolution to get the best out of it?

Many thanks

2. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

You don't have to, but buying a monitor with a lower resolution than the laptop is silly; why bother?

I'd recommend looking into a Thunderbolt display. They're fantastic, and the resolution is unbelievable. Other monitors with 2560x1440 resolutions are available, but they're not much cheaper than the Apple display (at least none that I found).

If you're dead-set against an Apple monitor, you can get reasonable 27-inch or 25-inch, 19x10 screens for around $400. The HPs are pretty good; so are Acer's.

3. MitchellMck thread starter macrumors member

Had a look around and quite like the look of the HP's. May go for this one

http://www.amazon.com/HP-x2301-23-Inch-Micro-Monitor/dp/B0050IE1O8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Thanks again

4. medi.freak macrumors regular

Don't know if you already bought it, but you are having the same exact thought process that I was having a month ago. I was about to order the exact same HP, but though I might look at it in a store first. And I am glad I did! It looks rather small, colors are not great, looks a little cheap all in all to me. I have no money for a TBD, but I will save as long as it takes until I can afford one , and not buy anything else. LOOK AT IT IN A STORE FIRST! Don't let pretty internet pictures fool you! just my 2 cents