Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galapogosgill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
BROOKLYN
still trying to decide between a dell 2709w and the ACD LCD 24.

best for web design / development

is there something better for what I need?

thanks,
JG

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Seriously do consider the 30" ACD, I got it 3 weeks ago, and it blows my mind. I use it with Adobe Suite, FCE, Aperture etc, the screen real estate is perfect. Plus it is one of the most beautiful things I have ever bought, it looks beautiful.

nutritious

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2008
I'd personally just get whatever looks better to your eyes. Both screens have the same resolution...if you prefer glossy go with the ACD, if not, go with the Dell.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
I have the LED Cinema Display that you are talking about and it is a great monitor. Keep in mind though that it will ONLY work with computers which have a mini-DisplayPort connector. That means you need the latest Apple hardware, whether that is an aluminium MacBook/Air/Pro or the latest revisions of their desktops. Previous generations of the hardware are incompatible and there are no adapters available whatsoever.

It's for this reason that I'd advise against buying it. I got mine at a big student discount and it was miles cheaper than the Dell, but I'm sort of regretting it now. I'm worried that in future I will only be able to connect it to Apple branded hardware because no other PC manufacturers or graphics card makers have shown an interest in producing compatible parts.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
You're gonna get a huge mix of opinions on this topic, but oh well.

As for me, I use a Dell 2709W, and I love it. Since my eyes aren't the greatest, the higher dot pitch compared to a 24" of the same resolution helps a lot actually. That and the huge amount of inputs on the back allow it to be my all in one solution for my PS3 and Wii.

I'm actually also planning on getting a second one, as soon as I have extra cash to spend and when Dell has another half off sale :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.