Best Monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacJohnson, Apr 22, 2009.

1. MacJohnson macrumors regular

MacJohnson

Looking to buy a external display for my Unibody, what are some of the best ones around for price, thank you

2. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

3. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Depends what you do.

There are also different types of LCD panels so that needs to be taken into account.

I run a 22" dell LCD w/ an IPS panel (same thing that's used in apple cinema displays) which is absolutely beautiful.

For more on panel types and to help yourself make an informed decision about what you buy, check out http://tftcentral.co.uk

4. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Do some research on your own. You're only going to get people's biased opinions here.

See what's out there. Narrow down your choices, read objective reviews from reputable websites, and most important go to a store and look at them in person before you buy.

Take a look at Apple, LG, Samsung, Dell, NEC, Viewsonic. Of course, I don't know anything about the compatibility of different, non-apple displays with your Unibody.

5. njl macrumors regular

the "best" monitor for my macbook is the Acer 21.5" 1080p i just bought at target... it was only 189 plus tax.. damn great deal for the price...

6. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

I'm just waiting for SnowLeopard's response: "Apple Displays rule! Only buy Apple. Everything else is crap!"

Disregard his biased opinion, follow the other posters' advice, do some research and see what is best at a price point you can afford. I've got a fairly old Dell 20" display, but its good enough for my needs.

7. Pivzavod macrumors member

Don' pay extra for Apple display: there is no Leopard installed on it )

8. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

9. eron macrumors 6502

A simple rule of thumb is that SIPS panels are better. PVA doesn't even come close.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

And what get a NEC display that costs even more since it's Vista certified? :rolleyes:

11. gathart macrumors regular

Absolutely. Great machine, easy to set up, brilliant colours and isight....

12. Shivetya macrumors 65816

my $200 Soyo 24" works just fine... 1920x1200 ... go figure.

Color reproduction is close enough to my iMac (24 itself) that I don't care who made it... just the fact $200 for 24 is not easy to pull off - especially over a year ago

13. Pivzavod macrumors member

I actually meant that the right thing to look at is the minimal price/quality ratio given some minimal quality threshhold: Apple displays are not the best in their price range.