Best mouse for Pro 2019?

Jmgilliam18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
what's the best mouse to use with my MacBook Pro? Just got a new Mac and all the pc laptops I've had I used a usb plug to connect a wireless mouse, but with the TB ports I don't think that's an option. Is there a mouse that you can use without having to plug something in outside the Magic Mouse?

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Lots of BT mice out there.

I like to the Logitech MX series I use the MX Master 2S at my desk and MX Master 2S Anywhere on the go. Both pair with up to 3 devices over either USB-A receiver or Bluetooth.

dwfaust

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2011
what's the best mouse to use with my MacBook Pro? Just got a new Mac and all the pc laptops I've had I used a usb plug to connect a wireless mouse, but with the TB ports I don't think that's an option. Is there a mouse that you can use without having to plug something in outside the Magic Mouse?
What's wrong with the Magic Mouse? I have them everywhere - work, home, backpack for laptop... love them...

But with that said, pick any bluetooth mouse on the planet...Microsoft, Logitech... plenty of choices.

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
What's wrong with the Magic Mouse? I have them everywhere - work, home, backpack for laptop... love them...

But with that said, pick any bluetooth mouse on the planet...Microsoft, Logitech... plenty of choices.
Never like Apple mouses. Too flat for me. But mice are personal preference items, like keyboards.

sub150

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2018

I like to the Logitech MX series I use the MX Master 2S at my desk and MX Master 2S Anywhere on the go. Both pair with up to 3 devices over either USB-A receiver or Bluetooth.
Does your BT connection ever lag/stutter/disconnect?

sub150

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2018

Magic Mouse is pretty polarizing. Any time I use one I feel like an alien using a mouse for the first time. Coming from the top of line Logitech's it's quite different. Ergonomically it's terrible (I think that is a fact) but the lack of buttons is also much different and subjectively worse IMO. MX's have 10+ buttons when counting all the ways you can use the scroll wheels and being relegated to using gestures only isn't ideal for quick, precise navigation.

Jmgilliam18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2017

Thanks looks good. So you can use straight bluetooth, not usb plug attached?

Do you like it better than MM?
[doublepost=1568668687][/doublepost]
Magic Mouse is pretty polarizing. Any time I use one I feel like an alien using a mouse for the first time. Coming from the top of line Logitech's it's quite different. Ergonomically it's terrible (I think that is a fact) but the lack of buttons is also much different and subjectively worse IMO. MX's have 10+ buttons when counting all the ways you can use the scroll wheels and being relegated to using gestures only isn't ideal for quick, precise navigation.
Do you use the mx anywhere?

Jmgilliam18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
Straight BT. And l definitely like it better than MM. I really have never had an Apple mouse I liked.

To me Logitech MX is the mouse all others are measured against.
Thanks man. Appreciate the feedback

MrRabuf

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2019
Logitech MX series have been my choice for years. I currently use an MX Vertical at work and an old Performance MX at home (which I'll soon be upgrading to an MX Master 3). I haven't used an MX Anywhere but I'll eventually pick one up for traveling.

I can't stand the Magic Mouse. I consider it to be one of the worst mice I've used in recent years not to mention only a complete moron would put a charging port on the bottom of a mouse.

dwfaust

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2011
Polarizing, indeed.

Not a problem ergonomically for me. That it is somehow ergonomically ‘terrible’ is your opinion, NOT fact.

I prefer the smooth top, button-free design. For me, a mouse with TEN buttons would be a nightmare. I much prefer the gestures over a scroll wheel.

Neither ‘right’ nor ‘wrong’ - just personal preference.

SeeGeeAitch

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2019
Australia
I pretty much vouch for the magic mouse too - especially the fact that you can kind of use it with trackpad gestures. Together with Better Touch Tools it's a joy to use.
If I have to come up with one issue for it it would be that the button needs quite a hard push to click, quite clunky compared to other mice.
The flatness doesn't bother me either but I can understand how it would others.
On PC I have a Razer Lachesis, not everyone's cup of tea at all but I bought that thing in 2008 and it's still going strong!

drmeatball

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2019
Ellicott City, MD
If you hate the Magic Mouse 2 (no real 2nd button, no real wheel, awful bluetooth range/lag/stutter/interference), get the Logitech G603.

I have a lot of 2.4ghz interference.. it sucks. I've spent so much money on wireless mice only to find it wasted within 30 seconds of turning it on. G603 is the first one that is not a waste of money (avoid Razer Atheris, Microsoft Designer Bluetooth, Microsoft Modern Mobile, Logitech MX, Logitech M557, even the Apple MM2 - these all suck).

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
I’ve owned all of the MX Master mice including the new MX Master 3. For business purposes or as your all day mouse, I definitely think Logitech makes the best mice. The problem I’ve found is that no mouse in the MX Master series or the MX Anywhere series works reliably over Bluetooth. Some people don’t have this issue, and others won’t even notice, but there is some definitely lagging that happens frequently enough over Bluetooth for me to forgo the option altogether. It seems to be an issue with MacBooks and Logitech mice, I don’t have the issue on Windows machines. I exclusively connect via the Logitech dongle (when docked) and have no lag. If you Google MX mouse Macbook lag, you’ll see what I’m talking about. There’s tons of info on it.

The Magic Mouse is a good option too which I think has a much more solid Bluetooth connection, but it’s tough to recommend for all day use due to ergonomics. It all comes down to the individual with all of this, of course, but these are just my experiences.

trailmonkey

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2019
I bought an MX Master 3 a couple of months ago. Very expensive - overpriced IMO - for what it is. Sure, it's accurate and customisable, but it's not entirely stable working on my MBA Mojave and Surface Pro Win 10. The Flow function is handy when it works, but the cheaper/older MX mice offer that anyway. The only standout feature IMO is the silent scrolling/ratchet. Does make a difference for sure but in no way does it make the whole package worth £100.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

r boyett

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
I've got the MX Master 3 and I'd advise against it on MacOS Catalina. The software is pretty spotty at this point. Logi requires you to install both Logi Options and Logi Control Center in order for the mouse to work. But even then I've had several issues. I've completely lost mouse movement on occassion and other times I have had my scrolling direction reverse on its own. These problems are resolved with a reboot but that shouldn't be the case to begin with. I never had any of these problems with previous versions of MacOS so I'd hold off until Logi gets their act together.