best mouse to compliment mbp trackpad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marble157, Apr 22, 2010.

1. marble157 macrumors newbie

first time mac owner here, patiently waiting for my mbp to arrive :( just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a mouse that will compliment the mbp trackpad. i'll be using it for basic web browsing, photoshop/aperature, and strategy gaming. initially i thought about the magic mouse but i have all the gestures right in front of me with the trackpad so i dont know how much different it would really be. i guess i want something a little more traditional just in case i don't like the lack of tactile buttons for certain tasks. if that makes any sense. TIA

GBR

2. Kiddo86 macrumors member

I own 4 different mouses and I find myself using my magic mouse the most. I believe its the only multitouch mouse that exists at this point. I don't recommend it for gaming though.

3. mingoglia macrumors 6502

I too recommend the magic mouse. I've had mine for a few months and it's the first and only mouse of Apples I like.... no, I love it.... particularly with the Bettertouch software which allows you to set up your own gestures.

4. Tankfantry macrumors regular

Tankfantry

I just bought a LogiTech wireless and have no issues with games, surfing or designing.

$19.99 Best Buy

I do use a magic mouse on my iMac though.
    :apple:

5. smelly cat macrumors regular

smelly cat

6. calsci macrumors 6502

calsci

The magic mouse would be my choice. I love the thing and find myself swiping and pinching to zoom and scrolling on the school mice that are just crappy dells.

7. EVO9Nate macrumors member

IHMO you should get the Magic mouse... nothing else seems to even come close when paired to a MAC. However, I have found that having a mouse for my MACBOOK PRO is pretty much pointless in most cases because the track pad is so intuitive.

-Nate

8. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Hands down the Magic Mouse. Compliments and extends the trackpad well. It can be set up to mirror the same functions (swipes and gestures) as the trackpad so the learning curve moving from one to the other is negligible.

9. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

"Mouses" lol :D

10. TedJustAdmitit macrumors regular

TedJustAdmitit

So so true.

11. pinksatin macrumors member

pinksatin

12. EVO9Nate macrumors member

LogTech does make some of the best gaming mice in the Industry. Although not as good as the Magic mouse for regular use...

I have a wireless LogiTech for playing BF2, an older FPS game. It migrated with me from my old Toshiba Laptop days.

-Nate

13. marble157 thread starter macrumors newbie

i've played with the magic mouse and really enjoyed using it, but i just get the feeling that for some situations i'm going to want some physical buttons to press. maybe i'm just over thinking things :confused:

GBR

14. EVO9Nate macrumors member

How long have you had your MACBOOK PRO? After a few months I felt that having a mouse wasn't really necessary. This may end up being the case for you as well. Just remember that the track pad on the MAC is unrivaled when compared to any other Laptop...

-Nate

15. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

16. marble157 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i don't have it yet, but when i do gaming and photoshop/aperature work i'm sure that i'm going to want one

GBR

17. EVO9Nate macrumors member

For gaming you may want to buy a non-Apple mouse i.e. something from LogiTech...

But again IMHO, you really do not need a mouse with the MACBOOK PRO's for anything other than gaming...

I hope that this helps you out. Good luck and enjoy your new MACBOOK PRO...:apple:

Cheers,

-Nate

18. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I have a Logitech V470 Bluetooth mouse and I'm pretty happy with it. I must admit that I haven't used a Magic Mouse, probably because every other Apple branded mouse has been pretty horrible.

For gaming I would stay away from ALL Bluetooth mice. There's a bit of lag that isn't usually detectable to most people in general use but can make gaming a horrible experience.

19. jess222 macrumors 6502

jess222

20. pyroza macrumors regular

Logitech G5... I think the Magic Mouse is too flat and it seems like it would be very uncomfortable during long term usage.

21. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

magic mouse is the best, not recommended for gaming though.

22. mingoglia macrumors 6502

It has to be flat because the mouse gestures would be a pain if it was contoured to your hand. It's really a great device. Yeah it's different but you'll be amazed at how fast you get used to it and the wonderfully fluid scrolling when surfing makes you completely forget there was anything you didn't like about it.

23. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

24. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

You guys have had better luck with your magic mouse than I have. Pointer speed and accuracy was poor in my experience.

Still have the magic mouse but I'm using a Logitec Anywhere mouse now, its good.

25. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

I don't know about "best" but the Apple Magic Mouse is awesome, IMO!