best mouse to use with macbook pro if I had to use one

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sossity, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I recently bought an i7 macbook pro, & I like the track pad, but sometimes I may still use a mouse as back up, can anyone suggest a good mouse that will work? do only apple branded mice work? or can I get a sort of generic mac/pc mouse?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can get any kind of mouse you want as long as it has USB or Bluetooth connectivity.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You can use any mouse that connects using a USB port or bluetooth. Personally I would recommend the Logitech MX Revolution or VX Revolution, they are both extremely comfortable and highly customizable :)

4. warrena macrumors member

warrena

I think any good USB or bluetooth mouse should work fine depending on the buttons/features you want. I have been using the Magic Mouse and it works great.

5. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

6. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

I used the MX Revolution for a while, but bought a Magic Mouse because I was interested in the momentum scrolling feature. Both are great mice, but I like the Magic Mouse a bit better, even if it isn't as ergonomic as the MX Revolution. You get used to it haha.

7. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

You guys are not very up-to-date... :p

The MX Revolution doesn't exist anymore. It has been by the (extremely similar, yes, but with only one scroll wheel) Performance Mouse MX.

Same for the VX Revolution, it's now the Anywhere Mouse MX.

Different names, almost same mice. But not exactly the same.;)

8. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

I love my Magic Mouse. The momentum scrolling is a big plus for me, but also because it's so "low profile" it fits in my bag really easily so I can take it anywhere.

9. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Go with the Magic Mouse. And if you want more capabilities with it, there are several programs available for enhanced customization.

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Magic Mouse. Why would you bother with any other mouse? It's like driving a Rolls Royce and saying a Tata Nano is more luxurious.

11. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

I use a Microsoft Notebook Bluetooth 5000. If you're using a Macbook Pro...you may as well get a Bluetooth mouse.

12. brianfast macrumors regular

Not all USB mice will work with OS X. Check and make sure before you purchase any mouse if it has OS X drivers.

13. tigress666 macrumors 68040

+1. But now that I have a mac with a trackpad that supports gestures and doesn't have a button taking real estate, I don't feel so needing of being able to take my mouse with me (I loved my magic mouse so much I insisted on using it everywhere. The trackpad on my 2010 macbook is so nice I don't miss the mouse too much).

But it's an *awesome* mouse. To the point that when I had crappy rechargeable batteries (they were old and for some reason caused the mouse to keep losing connection. I know it makes no sense since they did have charge, but I'm sure it was them) I'd deal with the having to reconnect all the time rather than use my logitech mouse. I have since bought new rechargeable batteries, problem solved (one reason I'm sure it was them, some sets were better than others. And the brand new ones are so good I have not had it disconnect yet on them).

14. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

If you don't play any games, then go ahead and go for the magic mouse. I'm not really sure how playing Starcraft 2, Teamfortress 2, and Diablo 3 would work out with a magic mouse. Seems like it'd just be easier to be on the safe side and get a normal mouse with a right click.

On the other hand i love my trackpad. With better touch tool i don't even wanna plug in my mouse anymore except for gaming =p.

15. Meever macrumors 6502a

Razer Orochi for me. Works great as a Bluetooth mouse, and when i need the DPI and polling for games I plug it in and I'm good to go.

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i've never had a problem with any USB mice. this would only be true if they had a myriad number of buttons, and even without proper drivers, there is always USBoverdrive to the rescue.

as for those recommending the Magic Mouse, while it is a good mouse, it is limiting in some respects and if the OP wants more than a trackpad i'd say that the Magic Mouse might not be the best fit for him/her since its seems to me to be a bit touchpad/traditional mouse hybrid.

17. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

I concur with your statements about just how good that inertial scrolling trackpad is, but I should have pointed out that I use the M/M along with a full-sized Apple USB keyboard as I prefer the "desktop" form-factor for my day to day work.

Having said that, I noticed one thing today while on a very crowded train while still using my MBP. The trackpad works flawlessly in confined spaces!! The control the trackpad offers even when in awkward postural states is remarkable.

......but I now have to admit, that I'm sitting here tonight using a crusty old HP USB mouse from 1990something!!! My batteries ran flat in my magic mouse so am waiting for 2 sets to charge up.

18. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

A Wired one can be extremely annoying since the ports are on the left and you are most likely to use the mouse with your right hand, a Wireless one can be a bit of a pain if the USB Dongle is long, so I would get a Bluetooth one, that said I didn't really find a lot of choices

The Magic Mouse is cute and works nice, but it's not good for pro uses or gaming, not a big improvement over a Trackpad, if you have the money get the Logitech MX Performance Mouse, It's a great piece of hardware, the USB Dongle is short, You can charge it with a wire and still use it and the buttons fit very well for OSX Common features like Exposé, Spaces and Dashboard

19. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Magic Mouse plus BetterTouchTool which enhances (with programmable gestures) both the trackpad and the mouse surface.

(MM is the first Apple mouse I've liked instead of despised)

20. tigress666 macrumors 68040

So do I ;). That's why I have a magic mouse or any mouse to use with my computer.

But, saying for portability now, since it has a pretty good trackpad, how portable the mouse is isn't as important to me anymore (it's still nice though. And I do concur that the magic mouse slips into a laptop bag very easily cause it's so flat. So you can have a full size mouse instead of those mini laptop ones that travels just as well as the mini laptop ones). With my old macbook once I got the magic mouse it went everywhere with me and I'd be annoyed not having it. It's amazing how much a difference the newer style trackpads make (my macbook's trackpad still let you scroll with it but didn't support any gestures and had a mouse button taking up real estate).

21. jakeacc macrumors regular

A Magic Mouse seems redundant if you have a Macbook that has a gesture-controlled trackpad. Why would you use a mouse for gestures when you can use your trackpad.

There are some scenarios where I do prefer to use a 2 button mouse with click wheel. (playing video games, video editing, photoshop)

I would recommend a bluetooth mouse or a wireless with USB dongle (where the dongle is only a few cm thick). Sometimes bluetooth mice get "un-paired" and I have to re-connect it. And I always buy Logitech. Always.

22. 3double8 macrumors newbie

3double8

I think the multi-touch trackpad kicks ass. Never thought of using any other mouse.

23. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Only going on personal experience, but I have a Logitech MX Anywhere. It's small, the wireless USB dingle is tiny and it works on my glass coffee table. Like the look of the Magic Mouse, but as others have said when you want the multitouch gestures you have the trackpad, and I only use a mouse for games and when I want to drag selections in Photoshop so not viable for me.

24. erasr macrumors 6502

Same here, I don't use a mouse unless it's for gaming and when I do it wouldn't be an Apple mouse.

The trackpad is awesome, better than a mouse for anything but gaming like I say!

25. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Magic Mouse is garbage. Performance Mouse MX and Anywhere Mouse MX is where its at. Razer Orochi for the bluetooth folk.

MX Rev and VX Rev are good if you can find a good price. I think I have seen some VX Rev overstock floating around online for around $20.