Best Moust and/or Trackball for Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Amblinman, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Amblinman macrumors regular

I *hate* the Mighty Mouse, but I've tried a couple of others and I notice they don't seem to play well with Mac.

So does anyone have any recommendations for the best mice that play well with Mac?

Also, I love trackballs, but I've only ever used the thumb trackballs. A.) is it easy enough to transition to a regular trackball and b.) which are the best ones for Mac?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

everything from Macally is pretty good. I'm a fan of the pebble, it's goes great with my blackbook and it feels really good as well.

3. Amblinman thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you!

At least someone cares about my question. :(

4. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

http://guides.macrumors.com/External_Mouse_Comparisons

Out of those on the list, I would recommend the Logitech MX Revolution... *cough*Because I wrote that section*cough*

But seriously, it's a nice mouse.

I would recommend anything by Logitech. I've had several Logitech Mice over the years and they've all been sturdy, good quality mice.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

just about all 3rd party mice will work with OS X with no problem. although anything more than two buttons will require drivers. if drivers aren't available, there is steermouse or USBoverdrive which should allow mapping functionality of those buttons.

that said, i prefer the logitech vx nano or vx revolution. but like i said, just about all work just fine. meaning i've yet to find a mouse that hasn't worked, but i'm sure that they exist.

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Logitech trackball at home, Logitech BT mouse on the road. Nary a problem, and comfortable to boot.

7. agent mac macrumors newbie

Try a wacom pad instead.....

Hi,
    A while ago I was suffering from painful tendons on the back of my hand because of using a combination of mighty mouse and a dell mouse at work. To give some variation I bought a Wacom Bamboo Fun Pad. It's a bit different as the pad directly represents the screen, so where you put the pen nib is where it shows up on the screen.
    But to hold and use, it is excellent. It has buttons on the pen, and programmable buttons on the pad as well.
    I'm using the small size with a 24 inch imac and it is just great. It might not be the best to take around with a laptop, although it IS very small and slim, but for home use it is a great alternative to the mouse.
    Worth a look anyway...
    Good luck.

8. kjwarren macrumors newbie

I have a logitech MX at home that I hook up to my laptop and I love it. I just bought a desktop though that I am keeping at my fiancee's house for now and I am stuck using the mighty mouse. YUCK. The only thing... if you do buy logitech don't install the software. The software gave me (and others) kernal panics. Just plug and play.

9. ttopp macrumors regular

Kensington orbit..

The new laser one, its cool, two buttons no scrolling but its great for speedy work between mouse and keyboard

10. oyebto macrumors regular

u can try razer v1.6 pro solutions.. superb mouse for the price.

11. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

I love my Kensington Expert Mouse Trackball.

[​IMG]

The scroll-ring is awesome!

12. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

I have a bamboo tablet and the Logitech MX. Both work perfectly with OS X - the MX in particular is a fantastically well built mouse with brilliant features (the weighted scroll wheel is awesome).

13. RealaT macrumors regular

I've just got myself a Logitech MX Revolution. It's the best mouse i've ever used on any system ever :p

14. DARKJ3DI macrumors regular

DARKJ3DI

well i have a Microsoft wheel mouse optical that i bought for my desktop PC 3 years go and it works well on my 2 month old Macbook. Its just odd that i have an Apple notebook and a Microsoft mouse! :D