best mp3 ripping software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by schmintan, Apr 12, 2007.

1. schmintan macrumors regular

on windows i use CDex and DAC to rip mp3s from cds. i dont wana use itunes as the latest version doesnt allow use of the LAME encoder. can anyone recommend a good ripper, that also will get the album/tracknames automatically from an online database?

2. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

Why do you need to use LAME encoder? iTunes is very quick at ripping, and i see no reason why you wouldn't want to use it

3. schmintan thread starter macrumors regular

LAME encoder provides better quality mp3's( this is debatable and im not getting into it now, but its my choice). I dont like using Itunes as it has nasty little habbits about where it stores the files and stuff. i know all this can be overcome, but its so much easier and flexible with a 3rd party converter like CDEx. Those are the two reasons i dont want to use iTunes.

4. ortuno2k macrumors 6502a

5. schmintan thread starter macrumors regular

couldnt find it for MacOS. is it availiable for mac?

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I don't know if this still works, but is this what you're looking for?

7. schmintan thread starter macrumors regular

i found this a few weeks back but its a very old version of itunes.

8. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Okay. Have you check MacUpdate at all? A quick search turned up this, and this.

9. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Panic's Audio (http://www.panic.com/audion/) is free now and offers Lame encoding as well as a lot of other features. I believe it was the main music software app for the Mac before Apple introduced iTunes.

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What I would do in your situation is use iTunes to make WAV files from the CD, then use LAME to turn the WAV files into MP3s. I do something similar to this when I make MP3s, since I prefer LAME over iTunes's MP3 encoder.

11. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Why would anyone want to use a codec called LAME...I think the name is self-explanitory.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

12. mchank macrumors regular

Use Max:

http://sbooth.org/Max/

Its a fully featured audio ripper, similar to CDex, and it can rip to various audio formats, including the newest version of LAME.

13. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

14. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Interesting. I had no idea Audacity could rip as well. That's good to know - thanks!

15. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

When I'm concerned with audio quality and need MP3s, I rip using xACT's cdparanoia mode (it provides a useful log output), and encode with the LAME encoder in V0 mode in X Lossless Decoder (XLD). However, for my day to day needs, I prefer ripping and encoding to 192 VBR AAC in iTunes.

16. trombone dixie macrumors newbie

i recently starting using XLD (X Lossless Decoder) for both my ripping and encoding. so far i've been really pleased with the results of both.