best mp3 ripping software

schmintan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
on windows i use CDex and DAC to rip mp3s from cds. i dont wana use itunes as the latest version doesnt allow use of the LAME encoder. can anyone recommend a good ripper, that also will get the album/tracknames automatically from an online database?

PYR0M310N

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
Why do you need to use LAME encoder? iTunes is very quick at ripping, and i see no reason why you wouldn't want to use it

schmintan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
LAME encoder provides better quality mp3's( this is debatable and im not getting into it now, but its my choice). I dont like using Itunes as it has nasty little habbits about where it stores the files and stuff. i know all this can be overcome, but its so much easier and flexible with a 3rd party converter like CDEx. Those are the two reasons i dont want to use iTunes.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
What I would do in your situation is use iTunes to make WAV files from the CD, then use LAME to turn the WAV files into MP3s. I do something similar to this when I make MP3s, since I prefer LAME over iTunes's MP3 encoder.

spencecb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
Why would anyone want to use a codec called LAME...I think the name is self-explanitory.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Washington, DC
When I'm concerned with audio quality and need MP3s, I rip using xACT's cdparanoia mode (it provides a useful log output), and encode with the LAME encoder in V0 mode in X Lossless Decoder (XLD). However, for my day to day needs, I prefer ripping and encoding to 192 VBR AAC in iTunes.

trombone dixie

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2008
i recently starting using XLD (X Lossless Decoder) for both my ripping and encoding. so far i've been really pleased with the results of both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.