Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
... OK now that we have a recommended client, can anyone recommend any good MUDs? :)

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
Are there any decent Trek Muds still around? Preferably with people who play Klingons and take it way too seriously?

Oirectine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2003
Maryland
About Atlantis: I tried it, and it is pretty great. I was having some issues but they were resolved by checking their forums. Thanks!

... OK now that we have a recommended client, can anyone recommend any good MUDs? :)

If you want:

-intense roleplay (enforced)
-a detailed, original, fascinating fantasy setting
-challenging PK in a dangerous world
-deep mechanics (with, unfortunately, a steep learning curve)
-great IMMs and a dedicated player base

try avendar.com. I've been playing it for years, and it's better now than it's ever been.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I use Atlantis like the poster above. If you're looking for a mud try Achaea - it has a big population and a lot to do, if you're not into roleplaying than there's Aardwolf Mud, which also has a large population and many things to keep you busy in the game.

Oirectine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2003
Maryland
I use Atlantis like the poster above. If you're looking for a mud try Achaea - it has a big population and a lot to do, if you're not into roleplaying than there's Aardwolf Mud, which also has a large population and many things to keep you busy in the game.

Thanks. I've been using Atlantis now for a long while and I'm pretty happy with it. There's a MUD client on the Mac App store now, has anyone tried it out? It hasn't been updated in white a while, or I'd snatch it up.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Thanks. I've been using Atlantis now for a long while and I'm pretty happy with it. There's a MUD client on the Mac App store now, has anyone tried it out? It hasn't been updated in white a while, or I'd snatch it up.

A lot has changed in three years :p, have you checked out Mudlet yet? It's pretty much the standard mud client on all platforms now.

I probably wouldn't use one of the clients from the app store; all the ones I found looked too out of date.

Oirectine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2003
Maryland
A lot has changed in three years :p, have you checked out Mudlet yet? It's pretty much the standard mud client on all platforms now.

I probably wouldn't use one of the clients from the app store; all the ones I found looked too out of date.

I tried Mudlet briefly but wasn't impressed. Atlantis and Savitar both seem like they haven't been updated in forever. Sticking with Atlantis for now though.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I tried Mudlet briefly but wasn't impressed. Atlantis and Savitar both seem like they haven't been updated in forever. Sticking with Atlantis for now though.

Mudlet is still what I use, it's the only one stable, smooth, and supports easy LUA coding for the more advanced MUDs. It has a lot of quirks though.
Atlantis has like zero good help/documentation, but I've always thought it by far the best looking and smoothest mud client for OS X. It's just so out of date and needs some bug fixes.

Kind of sad it's been six years since you started this and nothing better has come along besides Mudlet lol, but I guess there are not too many MUD players out there :(.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.