Best multi-instant messenger / social networking client?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by poisenedapple, May 24, 2009.

1. poisenedapple macrumors member

Okay, so I have an intel Mac (Macbook)... and I use Crossover, so I can run Wind0ze apps such as Digsby. I am trying to find something to use for Twitter, Facebook, Blogger (definitely those).

I have Adium for IMing for myspace, facebook, yahoo, msn, aim, etc

and Digsby (and with Digsby, Facebook - not the IM part, but the social networking part doesn't work)...

I need something for the following (and the asterisk are definite)...and interaction w/ social networks is nice too:

========================

Social Networks I use:
    **Twitter
    **Facebook
    **Blogger
    **Youtube
    *Myspace
    LJ
    Hi5
    last.fm
    project playlist (playlist.com)
    pandora
    etc

=============

IM networks:
    **AIM
    **Facebook
    **Google Talk
    *Yahoo
    MSN
    Myspace

================

Clients I've used recently: Adium and Digsby
    and with Digsby I ran via CrossOver... (CrossOver is used to run wind0ze apps w/o wind0ze on an intel mac, in my case my Macbook)
    I use HelloTxt.com (the website from my web browser)...
    <from my googling I saw that HelloTxt is in the process of working on an app). I've googled looking for apps, and have found: -Digsby (where Facebook the interactive social networking part of it doesn't work for some reason)... -I found a few apps that use Adobe-Air -I've found 8Hands -I saw the Flock Browser

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You need to be more specific about what you mean when you say

Twitter is self-explanatory, but what do you mean by "using" Facebook/Youtube/Myspace/Blogger with an external client? As far as I know there's nothing that integrates with all of them, and some of them (youtube and blogger) aren't really social networks in the same sense as Twitter/FB/Myspace.

3. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

i've read your post a couple of times and i'm still not sure what you want... for what it's worth, adium now supports twitter as well. (and irc)

i'm guessing you want an application that takes the place of the native web interface of these sites. the only thing that exists with Flock. which is just a web browser anyway, with a few bells and whistles.

i don't think it will replace the functionality of digsby however.

4. poisenedapple thread starter macrumors member

things I do:
    1. blog using blogger
    2. IM
    3. use twitter, myspace, facebook...mainly twitter, and facebook.

I have Adium for IMing (and I found out about the beta version of Adium, with the built-in feature for twitter...)

I was using www.hellotxt.com for everything else.

Yea, I want Digsby to work for Facebook...then everything will be cool!
    -or-
    supposedly www.hellotxt.com is working on something.
    (if all comes to least I will probably create a widget in safari for www.hellotxt.com until they do something)... and use Adium.

Overall,
    I think an app will be similar to Digsby sooner than we think. :) for the mac. But CrossOver allows us to run most Windows apps w/o the windows os. <on an intel mac>

I've looked at Flock, haven't used it yet..just got it...but it sounds promising...
    and read about Cruze...
    Flock vs. Cruze, what's your suggestion?

5. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

6. poisenedapple thread starter macrumors member

thanks..

i heard about prism for firefox...that's useful indeed...but is that similar to safari's web clipping feature? I am using prism right now..
    testing out the downloads....cruze, prism, flock, etc, etc

7. masemase macrumors newbie

I think you're looking for Eventbox

I would definitely check out Eventbox from The Cosmic Machine. Here's a link to their site.

I've played with Digsby on VMWare Fusion and, frankly, I don't think there is anything for the Mac that can match what it does. I was really impressed with it and am excited for the Mac version, which the developers claim is coming soon.

That being said, my experience with Eventbox has been great, and I think it will be the closest thing you will find to Digsby, as far as the social networking goes. There is no chat aspect to the application, but I think that it for a reason; it excels at what it does and does not try to do more. I suppose you would then have to run Adium simultaneously to get the full Digsby experience with Eventbox.

Just a suggestion; good luck!

Brandon

8. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

I still think ichat is the best. Screen sharing is my fav :>