Best multifuction laser printer for OS Leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EHUnlucky7x9@ao, Mar 17, 2008.

1. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

I've seen some posts on MF printers, but most people responded with Canon MP's.... I think those are the inkjet printers...but i'm looking for a monochrome one. I currently have a Canon MF4150...and sadly the scanner feature doesn't want to work. I have Parallel on my Mac, but i want OS X to run the fax...scan....and print feature without having to open up Windows... saves all the clicking and waiting and extra steps....

Can anyone recommend me a multifuction LASER Printer they use where all 3 features have native support in OSX? I'm looking to spend UNDER 300... Preferably under $250.

2. stevegmu macrumors regular

Attached Files:

3. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Go with the Brother MFC-7820N.

It's simply bulletproof, plays wonderfully with Macs and is superb for network use through ethernet or USB.

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I have this one too. It's networked, whereas the 7420 is not. Plugged in an ethernet cable and it's right on my network (configuring for bonjour takes a step, although it may be fixed now).

You can scan straight from the machine to your computer of choice--scan to destination, select type of file (image/.jpg, document/.pdf, etc), and it shows up in a folder on your computer, over the network. Copying and faxing are as normal. Laser printing is speedy.

ETA: I wouldn't say it's "bulletproof" if only because the plastic casing does not feel very solid. I haven't had any problems with the plastic, but it's not quite as attractive as a Mac.

5. stevegmu macrumors regular

Is that a new model? I don't remember seeing it when I bought mine, or I would have gotten it instead.

6. FloridaBSD macrumors newbie

I would highly recommend the hp office jet 6300 series of MFPs in particular the 6310 al-in-one scanner,copier, fax machine and printer as it is a network ready device and has server my family well sense my fathwer got it for me as a Christmas present last year And won'y admit to the fact that the darned thing is mine).

7. EHUnlucky7x9@ao thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone know if there are any Canon printers MFP out there that work like the Brother models? So that they work in Leopard without any problems?

8. EHUnlucky7x9@ao thread starter macrumors 6502

Also, does the Brother 7820N do duplexing like my Canon MF4150?

9. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Just popping up to say I'm interested in the comments here too.

We have a HP color Laserjet 2550, and while it works fine, it eats cartridges and drums like there's no tomorrow. Hence looking for a mono multi-function laser to do our BW printing and copying.

10. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

It's at least a couple years old.

I believe duplexing is manual--i.e., flip over the stack of paper and rerun it.

11. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I am also looking for a good all-in-one for my house. I already have an HP laserjet so I'm looking for the all-in-one to be color so that I can scan on the network and use it for photo printing.

The 7820n sounds like it has all the functionality I'd want (and more - duplexing) but I'm looking for color.

Thanks!

12. /\/\ macrumors regular

Laser Color All-in-one

I just found the Brother DCP-9045CDN. This is a all-in-one (no fax) laser color printer. Does anybody have some experience with this printer? Or maybe other brother printers and Mac OS X (Leopard)? I read a lot of other printers (for example HP) are not working with Leopard. They only print, but you can not scan via network...

Any experience?

Thanks!

13. byocrysis macrumors regular

byocrysis

I recommend the Samsung SCX-4500, its the best looking multifunction laser around. Works great too!

14. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

i totally agree... the Samsung 4500 is really great... it's a monochrome laser printer and copier, and a color scanner... it works flawlessly with Leopard, although i guess that took a few months as i believe originally the "Scan To PC" button wasn't compatible with the Mac. the drivers that come with the printer are outdated (the ones that don't play nice with Leopard), so buyers have to download the new drivers from the website (but that's a non issue)...

the ONLY issue i have with my Samsung 4500, is that since it's all sexy black, it shows dust easy... but i'll take having to give it a whip down everyday (with the included dust cloth) over having to sit beside some massive multifunction laser printer that's bigger than my screen.

samsung also developed a decent site for this product as well, which gives them extra points of course: http://www.samsung.ca/coolprinter/

15. radiantheat macrumors newbie

Kodak Easyshare 5500

ok , long story. Had an HP 7660 photo printer. bought HP ink from Circuit City, Fuji Photo paper from Price Club ,printed dozens of 8 x 10's as gifts. PHOTOS FADDED ALOT AFTER A FEW MONTHS. BIG TIME FADE. I was very angry. I Still is ! Then saw an add from KODAK . They claim there dye's & 'pigments' are archival quality. and less expensive ! so i bought the 5500 MFP for $ 150 on clearance (great price) . Software is somewhat krappie , but it does work as of today. (had to re-flash the firmware to get it to work under intel/VM Fusion) and Leopard , and it needs sometimes to be reset when I switch from one to the other .

Also , in an insult to the planet , the fax side cannot 'relay' a fax to the computer , it instead insists on wasting paper and ink when ever someone sends me a junk fax ! ! ! ! , no chance to get an 'original' document. My Guess ? those stupid money whore Kodak people want me to waste ink because they sell ink.

In spite of that , the idea of a printer that uses non-fading ink appeals to me and I guess kodak knows a lot about that. , it is a full multi-function except for fax to computer service , the ink is cheap and it does work on both platforms.

Last note. I guess the folks at Circuit City are afraid of Cheap Ink, so they do not stock the ink anymore , you have to search for it.

16. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Any update on this?

I'm looking at buying the Brother 8860dn now. It's about 2 years old, and the price has come down to about £300, but it seems to be the best on the market for full duplex laser mono AIO that works well with OSX.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1985924,00.asp

17. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I use a HP all-in-one printer that I bought 4 years ago and it works awesome with my Macs. It has a scanner, printer and copier and all the software that came with it works with OS X. So I would think that any of the newer HP all-in-ones would work well with a Mac.