Best music program for mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hitman45400, Nov 26, 2008.

1. hitman45400 macrumors regular

I have a "old" 2.4 MBP, and am going to start recording some local bands, whats the best program to do all of that? i was thinking about Logic Studio, but didn't know if there was something better..

2. Sammio2 macrumors regular

Sammio2

Hello there,

I have been recording, mixing and mastering for around 5 years. Not much experience in the scheme of things i know, but maybe my advice can help.

I have the same MBP as you, except mines 2.5, but that doesn't affect it that much. One of the big considerations is RAM, the more tracks, VST's and Effects you have, the more RAM you will need. But this post isn't about hardware...

I have used a few DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) packages, currently I'm using Pro Tools. This is really the industry standard when it comes to studio software. However this is expensive, and requires either an M-audio or Digidesign Sound Card to run. If you are looking into pro tools, its about £200 for a Digidesign Mbox2 Mini, which has 2 inputs for mic or line level instruments. However, if you are looking to go down the pro tools route i would wait for snow leopard, because Digidesign Mbox's are having serious problems with the core audio drivers for leopard. But in terms of software, if you are looking to get serious with recording and mixing, Pro Tools is really the industry standard.

Other software you could look at is Logic, obviously. I haven't had too much experience with this myself, but i know some studios that use logic exclusively. Not as many as pro tools though!

Cubase is your other alternative. It's a very flexible suite, for both audio recording and MIDI. It is capable of doing everything pro-tools and logic are but the downside is, that it's not really used in the industry that much. But it really is a great piece of software, some may disagree, but i have found it easy enough to use.

So to sum up, I would be looking at...

1 - Pro Tools
    2 - Cubase
    3 - Logic

But this is really all personal preference, and i'm sure there are other experienced folk out there who will have different views. But good luck with whatever software you choose!

Sam

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

this is a question that everyone will have their own opinion on, and while some answers are better than others, but there's not 1 true right answer.

I work in protools everyday, but logic and cubase/nuendo are both great DAWs.

4. donbenjy macrumors 6502

I know of no studios or professionals that use Cubase at all...if comparing between Logic and Cubase, there's really no contest IMHO. Also, one really good reason I've heard in support for Logic is that because it's native, there's less latency.

When looking at Protools vs Logic, it's useful to think of Protools as a recording program that does MIDI, and Logic as a MIDI sequencer that does recording. Both handle both well, but looking at them, you can see the difference in the workflows.

5. Sammio2 macrumors regular

Sammio2

Agreed

6. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

I recommend

Cubase and Logic

Both amazing!!

7. Sammio2 macrumors regular

Sammio2

8. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

My understanding from someone who just did research on this (and has contacts at Steinberg, is that the current versions of Cubase and Nuendo have the exact same audio engine. Nuendo just adds more video and sync options for the Post crowd. Considering how much Nuendo costs this is a big deal. ;)

That is an extremely accurate assessment.

One thing to consider with Pro Tools vs. other platforms, is that the cost of hardware includes the DAW. If you get Logic, or Cubase, you still have to buy an interface capable of the work you want to do. So depending on what level you are looking getting into it, while the Pro Tools systems look to be very expensive compared to other systems, they can in fact be less expensive once you put all the pieces in place.

9. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I started to look at programs last month, and I finally pulled the plug on Logic Express. Its basically all that I need for now. Its an amazing program, I am in love with it. It has everything that I wanted that Garageband lacked.

If you are doing live recording and such, I would get Logic Studio because it has Mainstage.

10. hitman45400 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, my future boss, Matt Goldman suggested i start with Pro Tools, and mess with some amateur recording to see if i liked it and if i was smart with it..where is a cheap place to get vocal/drum mics? mainly for scream-o and metal.
    *edit*
    and, could i get a link where i could get Pro Tools?

11. DeLoMan macrumors regular

While I'm not on the professional level, I've been VERY happy with Sound Studio and Amadeus Pro. They are reasonably priced and packed with features. You can download a trial version of both of them to see if they will suit your needs.

12. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

If you are a student, JourneyEd has some EDU pricing, although it isn't all that great.

Just in case you are not aware, Pro Tools must have dedicated hardware in order to work. So you either have to have a Digidesign interface (Mbox series or 003), or an M-Audio box that supports Pro Tools MPowered.

That is basically how they do their copy protection.

13. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I've used most of these programs. Cubase used to be my main ride but then I got into ProTools.....it depends on which way you want to go w/ an interface. Now I'm on Logic, for the money it cannot be beat.