Best music quality in itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MikaelSmoot, Nov 28, 2009.

1. MikaelSmoot macrumors member

For best music quality should i rip to aiff or apple lossless while mainting future proof

2. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

To my knowledge aiff is a better quality file, but in the real world you cant notice the difference. I would go with lossless.. its the default standard for many people on here.. :)

PTP

3. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Because apple lossless is truly lossless (it's just a compressed version of the aiff) it will be undistinguishable from aiff

4. whats.the.story macrumors newbie

320 vbr

How does 320 kbps VBR MP3 compare with Apple Lossless or AIFF when you weigh up quality versus size?
    I don't have the biggest HD or the biggest iPod but I enjoy having most of my music in high quality.

5. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

AIFF is not a better quality file. As long as they're working properly, lossless codecs will retain all the information from the original file and be bit-for-bit identical once decoded.

6. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

Let me make it simple for you:

a. Forget AIFF, apple lossless is a compression of AIFF with NO loss of quality, I rip everything there myself.

b. If you are talking about the itunes mp3 encoder, go with top quality setting for aac instead, it's a better format.

I would say go lossless, you ll get very roughly speaking about double size for alac (apple lossless) over the top aac/mp3 setting, but your library will be future proof, you won't have to re-encode and essentially you ll be safekeeping your data in case of cd scratches and the like. Plus if/when you do buy a really great quality audio system you ll most likely, not always of course, appreciate the difference, and there is a difference in the presence and expansiveness of music between any lossy and any lossless format.

I went lossless a couple of years ago in any track I rip from a cd and I ve not regretted it.

Plus the way hd/ssd/flash sizes are growing it will be a non issue very soon.

Remember the mp3 format became a hit back 9-10 years ago when our hds where 20gbs in size or so, while now you can get a 1.5 tb hd for less than 100 bucks.